• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gigabyte 990fxa-ud5 vs SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DatDirtyDawG

Registered
Looking to upgrade my motherboard to either of these two. The gigabyte is about 30 bux less

My problem is that I hate my motherboard (M4N98TD EVO) because it has no Sata III, No USB3 and no ability to upgrade my CPU at a later date (I'm currently happy with my CPU and I'm waiting to see what Steamroller is all about). The only thing I like about my motherboard is that OCing was a cakewalk..... My 1090T is running at 4GHz 100% stable and all I did was change the multiplier and up my CPU voltage to 1.50 (dumb vdroop on this board brings that down to 1.45). Didn't even touch my Bus speed.

Want a new board with all that the M4N is missing but I want to be able to hit that 4GHz mark with my 1090T just as easily as I did with my current board. Those two (Gigabyte 990fxa-ud5 vs SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0) have around the same amount of positive reviews on Newegg, more or less the same specs but if I could I'd rather save the $30 UNLESS the Sabertooth is better for what I want.

Any opinions? Thanks :)

Specs:
AMD Phenom II X6 1090T @4GHZ
ASUS M4N98TD EVO
Corsair H80i Closed Loop Cooler
EVGA 2GB GTX 560TI 2 way SLI
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) SDRAM DDR3 1600
Windows 7 64

What if Steamroller is not supported on AM3+ socket?
Or what if a new chipset is released along with Steamroller?

unless you need USB3 or Sata 3 today, I don't see the point.

Unless you really really need SATA III, I'd just upgrade your motherboard when you upgrade your CPU.

I'm upgrading the boards because I want a SSD (that won't be bottlenecked by the SATAII) and a USB 3.0 External Hard drive. Both are being ordered together with the new board. I specifically said I hated the lack of SATA III and USB3 otherwise why would I bother?

Last edited:
What if Steamroller is not supported on AM3+ socket?
Or what if a new chipset is released along with Steamroller?

unless you need USB3 or Sata 3 today, I don't see the point.

I'm struggling to find anything helpful about your reply. All I asked is which of those two boards are better LOL can anyone help? I try to keep my requests simple so as not to encourage volumes of things that really don't apply. By the way AM3+ is going to stay (again, I didn't include because it didn't pertain, my question is very specific)

AMD Sticks with Socket AM3+

Last edited:
lol
I could say the same thing about you... all you needed to answer was yes, I need sata3 and I don't care about new chipsets
This isn't a customer support forum last time I looked, so you may get a little more or less than you bargained for.

Took me 5 secs of searching Gigabyte 990fxa-ud5.
Check RGone's posts
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=732800&highlight=Gigabyte+990fxa-ud5

You're welcome

Wow LOL my original post answered that but it wasnt enough for you LOLOL. If you had nothing helpful to add, why respond? Read more thoroughly as all I asked (again) is for opinions from users on these forums on those two boards. If you don't have an opinion why respond to this? LOL

I've given you 2 opinions already and I have formed a 3rd.
1 on whether you should bother to upgrade and the second is which board you should choose.
My 3rd and final is of you, and I'll keep that one to myself.

gl

I've given you 2 opinions already and I have formed a 3rd.
1 on whether you should bother to upgrade and the second is which board you should choose.
My 3rd and final is of you, and I'll keep that one to myself.

gl

Well then looks like we have one thing in common ;)

Well, I'd go with the Gigabyte... Based on my specs!

ahh really? Why? Just curious your specs are similar to mine and you have the Sabertooth that I'm thinking about. Please share your experience (if you would)

Well, because I dont' like Asus support, UD5 has one more PCIe port. And the Sabertooth was the only board I could find within 24 hours where I live.

Still a very good board though.

But if I could chose now, I'd go with the Gigabyte UD5.

Well, because I dont' like Asus support, UD5 has one more PCIe port. And the Sabertooth was the only board I could find within 24 hours where I live.

Still a very good board though.

But if I could chose now, I'd go with the Gigabyte UD5.

Thank you so much, greatly appreciated :)

And forget to mention, it's €50 less in Europe (about the same in the US I guess).

I'd go with the Sabertooth.

Gigabyte has a nasty habit lately of neutering their boards by removing LLC and Power Management options in later revisions. I had the 990FXA-UD3 rev 3.0, and that's exactly what they did between the 1.1 and 3.0 revisions so consequently the board kept throttling CPU speeds and voltages when pushed.

Gigabyte has a nasty habit lately of neutering their boards by removing LLC and Power Management options in later revisions. I had the 990FXA-UD3 rev 3.0, and that's exactly what they did between the 1.1 and 3.0 revisions so consequently the board kept throttling CPU speeds and voltages when pushed.

Thanks for imput :) This is exactly the kind of info I'm looking for, Zebodog and Manu2b

Thanks for imput :) This is exactly the kind of info I'm looking for, Zebodog and Manu2b

Head on over the Gigabyte website and download the user manual for the board you're interested in. That'll give you a good idea on whether or not it has the BIOS features that you'll want for your intended usage.

It seems you are right Zebodog: I've check a few forums and it seems that many users have the APM/throttling issue with the UD5.

Back