• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Failed Windows 7 Install?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Censored

Registered
I downloaded the Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit with SP 1 ISO. I burned the ISO file to a dvd using Windows 7 USB DVD Download Tool. It worked perfectly.

I booted from the DVD, formatted the hard drive, and began installing the OS. When it came time to setup the computer, I left it alone for about three hours. I came back, and it was off. Now every time I try to start the computer, it abruptly shuts off at the windows logo screen.

Boot Normally: Abruptly shuts off at windows logo screen.
Boot from Last Known Good Configuration: Blue screen and abruptly shuts off.

Boot from Safe Mode:
Stops at Loaded: \windows\system32\drivers\classpnp.sys
then progresses to the screen "Setup is preparing your computer for first use"
then an error dialog box appears that says "Windows cannot complete installation in Safe Mode. To continue installing Windows, restart the computer."
I press "Ok", and it progresses to the screen "Setup will continue after restarting your computer."
It automatically restarts and abruptly shuts off at the windows logo screen again.

Boot from Safe Mode with Networking yields the same results as Safe Mode.
Boot from Safe Mode with Command Prompt yields the same results as Safe Mode.

When I try to boot from the disk and install the OS again, it progresses through two status bars with "Loading files..." then the Windows logo screen appears and it abruptly shuts off.

I took the same disk, booted from it in another computer, and after the two status bars with "Loading files...", it showed the windows logo and proceeded with prompts to install Windows 7.

At this point, I'm out of ideas. I can't do anything. I've been talking it through with my friend who is a Director of Technology at a Board of Education with a bachelor's degree in Information Technology (which is what I am currently going for) and he doesn't know either. He hasn't actually seen this problem, just talked it over on the phone. He says I should be able to boot from the disk and just reinstall the OS again, but it just shuts off every time. I need some guidance here. It will be much appreciated.

Have you tried burning it again, at low speed?

You could also install it from a USB thumb.

Maybe a bad optical drive...

Edit: is your computer at stock settings? AHCI enabled?

No, I haven't. I don't believe that will solve anything, but I will do it to rule it out. I will update this thread once I have done it.

Edit: Windows 7 USB DVD Download Tool does not offer burning speeds as an option. I currently have it burning the same ISO file to a new DVD, however, that won't rule out the burning speed.

Last edited:
It is a Toshiba Satellite A665.

I3 Dual Core processors @ 2.20GHz
4G DDR3 SDRAM (2 x 2GB)
500G HDD ATA

This is what I know off of the top of my head. It was bought at a retail store, so the specs found online should be identical. It was not overclocked when I obtained the computer. It is a laptop btw.

Last edited:
I tried creating a bootable flash drive with the same ISO file before I went the route with the DVD. I never could get the laptop to boot from the flash drive. I would go in to the boot menu, boot from the flash drive, and it would just say "failed". So I went with a disk. I think everything would have been just fine if I didn't leave it alone and it shut off like it did.

First of all, make sure the .ISO you downloaded is not corrupted. To do this, you must check its hash using a tool such as HashTab against the official one. After that, if possible, expand the image to a USB drive instead of DVD using the same Windows 7 tool as this is often more reliable and will install your windows faster.

If the media is 100% valid and you still experience the installation fail, you will probably have more work to do. I see things like this happen occasionally on some older laptops with proprietary motherboards, controllers and firmware etc, whose special drivers are integrated into the factory installed (and bloatware-filled) Windows and recovery discs. Basically, the native Windows drivers don't know how to handle those "non-standard" stuff, resulting in the failure when you attempt to do a clean installation.

Definitely change the SATA to AHCI mode and if possible, install the intel AHCI drivers at the initial F6 phase by using the "Intel AHCI floppy driver" provided by Intel or Toshiba.

I have verified the ISO file is not corrupt. I previously used the Windows 7 tool to make a bootable usb device. When I tried to boot from it on my computer, it just says "failed". I have done this before and after this problem with no change in the outcome.

I think you're on to something with the drivers issue.

SATA Controller Mode has always been set to AHCI by default. If it has been set by default, would I still need to find the drivers for it? If yes, then I may have a problem. I'm not sure how to install the drivers at this point. The F6 screen displays the following options:

Windows 7
Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool (I have already ran this!)

For Windows 7 Advanced Boot Options:

Safe Mode
Safe Mode with Networking
Safe Mode with Command Prompt

Enable Boot Logging
Enable low-resolution video (640x480)
Last Known Good Configuration (advanced)
Directory Services Restore Mode
Debugging Mode
Disable automatic restart on system failure
Disable Driver Signature Enforcement

Any option that initializes windows causes it to abruptly shut off.

By the way, thank you all for the input. I apologize if I seem rude, I am just very frustrated with this. I have installed Windows 7 multiple times and this is the first time I have ever encountered this problem. I appreciate and value everyone's opinion.

Sorry that you are having problems.

According to this the might be a file corruption problem:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com...ils-to-go-into-safe-mode-stuck-at-classpnpsys

1. Boot the computer to windows recovery mode.

2. Click Commmad Prompt, type in:

rename c:\windows\system32\drivers\classpnp.sys classpnp.old

Please read the article - It looks like you have to be able to have the "Windows Recovery Mode" as an option when booting from a DVD.

The problem described in the thread in the link provided is different than my problem, however, I did continue to read the replies. In the replies, there were several solutions that seemed to work for multiple users. I tried several of these "solutions" and none worked. I changed the SATA Controller Mode to Compatibility instead of AHCI and it gave me a blue screen. After changing back to AHCI, I didn't have the problem again.

I can't boot to Windows Recovery Mode. If I could, I wouldn't have done a clean install of the OS.

In order to boot in to Windows Recovery Mode, you need a disc of sorts (Startup Repair, System Restore, System Image Recovery, etc). You can make any of these discs, however, if you're prompted to insert a Windows Installation disc, it means that the files needed to create the disc can't be found on your computer so you would actually need the Windows 7 installation disc. If I had that, I wouldn't need the ISO file.

In my mind, this is what has happened:

It went to do a clean install, but required user input before finalizing. Due to the system being idle for an amount of time before finalization, it automatically turned off. Since the new OS was not fully installed yet and it turned off, it now seems to be trying to resume the installation but is getting hung up some how. Why do I think it's trying to resume the installation? Because of this:

"Boot from Safe Mode:
Stops at Loaded: \windows\system32\drivers\classpnp.sys
then progresses to the screen "Setup is preparing your computer for first use"
then an error dialog box appears that says "Windows cannot complete installation in Safe Mode. To continue installing Windows, restart the computer."
I press "Ok", and it progresses to the screen "Setup will continue after restarting your computer."
It automatically restarts and abruptly shuts off at the windows logo screen again."

It does not stop at classpnp.sys, it does not loop, it just progresses. classpnp.sys is the last loaded file that I see, and it does appear to stop at the line, however, it continues. It doesn't just stop there. The computer continues trying to finalize the installation which is evident by "Setup is preparing your computer for first use." Since it is in Safe Mode, it can not finalize the installation because it doesn't have access to what it needs.

After this, it continues by producing an error message that actually says "Windows cannot complete the installation in Safe Mode. To continue installing Windows, restart the computer." It gets hung up though. When it is restarted and windows initializes, it gets choked and just turns itself off. Now why do I think it is getting hung up or choking? Because I think it is trying to resume the installation, but something is preventing it from doing that. A driver could be the problem, and as such, classpnp.sys could very well be the culprit, but I have no means of checking this.

You can run Recovery Mode off of the install disk. There's an option once you boot to the disk.

The "F6 driver installation" is done not after installation, but before installation begins. In the windows 7 setup, select "custom installation". You will find a small box that allows you to install "additional required drivers". This basically installs and uses your own provided SATA driver to start the installation and completely passes the generic Windows 7 driver. This operation was required to install Windows XP(and prior OSes) on the newer computers with AHCI because Windows XP did not have built-in support for AHCI, and the name "F6" refers to pressing the F6 key during the windows installation driver loading black screen to start the procedure.

So back to Windows 7 installation. After clicking the option it will then allow you to look for drivers. You can download the latest SATA drivers at
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/De...apid+Storage+Technology+(Intel®+RST)&lang=eng

Look for the "f6flpy-x64.zip" version if you're installing 64bit Windows or "f6flpy-x86.zip" for 32bit. You can download them and place them onto a USB thumb drive instead of legacy floppy. Then point the Windows 7 installation to look for the SATA drivers on the thumb drive.

Please note that I cannot guarantee this latest version of SATA drivers will work for your older system. If Toshiba provided their own F6-sata drivers, you should try to use them first.

Please also keep in mind that this F6 driver installation is not limited to only SATA drivers. You can pre-load pretty much any drivers here. But SATA is usually the one causing the most problems.

ATMINSIDE, thank you for clarifying that point after I explained I don't have the installation discs.

I am just screwed because I can not boot from the disc at all. I really don't know how to be more straight forward with you all other than typing it out in plain English in logical steps.

Step 1: Press the power button.
Step 2: Hold F12
Step 3: Boot from CD/DVD drive
Step 4: Loading Files
Step 5: Windows logo screen
Step 6: Computer abruptly turns off

ilovecats, I can't even test what you have said because I can not do a reinstall from a USB or a DVD.

You can download a legal ISO from Microsoft directly, redownload and reburn it.

How long have you had that ISO?

Did you try redownloading it at all?

If you cannot even finish booting from either the DVD or USB drive AND your DVD/USB is 100% original, I'd say this is a hardware issue.

But you need to make sure your media is 100% good.

The loading phase of the Windows installation does not use a hard drive. What it it does is creating a RAM disk and loading the initial setup file onto it. If this phase cannot even be completed, something is wrong with either your installation media or your hardware.

Back