• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus RT-AC66U & SSH

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jumpycore

Registered
Anyone have any experience with their firmware for this model? I've been looking for SSH activation and googled it. A comment I read on a site said it's in Administrator, another one said it doesn't exist but it's possible to make the change via command line by entering it via Linux somehow.

Administration -> Enable SSH -> Yes

That, on the device GUI. Make sure you don't enable SSH on WAN. That's bad. Very bad.

Then just use your favourite ssh client. For Windows, I'd recommend Kitty.

See that's the problem I'm having. I don't have SSH in mine.

Firmware vers. 3.0.0.4.266

Unless its Enable web access from WAN

oh wait..enable telnet..that is SSH isn't it?

That is not exactly SSH but it will do.

Anyway, before enabling Telnet, try to connect to your router using a SSH client. Might be enabled by default. Do NOT enable WAN access.

By the way, we could use some screenies.

Yeah sorry I was thinking about posting screens but didn't have the time.

use something like PuTTY to connect to it yes? in which, it would be say 192.168.1.1:21?

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2013-06-28 18:00:14.png
    Screenshot from 2013-06-28 18:00:14.png
    44.6 KB · Views: 10,564
  • Screenshot from 2013-06-28 18:00:52.png
    Screenshot from 2013-06-28 18:00:52.png
    60.8 KB · Views: 10,191
21 is for SSH. 23 would be Telnet's. And, yeah, if that's your router IP, that's the IP you should connect to.

Anyway, PuTTY/KiTTY has a nice GUI that will automatically set the default port for you.

Ok. I tried SSH and it didn't work. I was able to log into telnet though. Do you think I could change the SSH properties via telnet?

You could enable SSH (if there was a SSH server installed) via the console somehow if you found a config file for that.

But, really, it's not worth the hassle. Whatever you had to do via SSH you can do via Telnet.

I think you should read more on the topic, so please go and investigate, it is better for you. You learn way more investigating by yourself.

But, just a hint:

You don't need to enable SSH access on the router to remotely access a computer. You need to enable a SSH server on the computer you want to access. Then, on another computer, you have to set-up a SSH client pointing at that server.

Hmm okay. I know that SSH is to securely access say, my laptop for example. But from what I've read, and been told, I have to make sure SSH is enabled on my router in order for it to work properly.

I guess maybe I read the VNC tutorial wrong.

Well, thanks for the help. Sorry for wasting your time lol

Last edited:
Back