• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

finishing my build ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rokka

Registered
Ok guys new to the forums and need some thoughts. Below is my current build as it stands now.

I know the fx 8350 is a heat monster and requires a good cooling solution. I have the corsair h110 to upgrade from the stock cpu cooler, but my epic case will not hold it so that is on hold till i can afford a half 932 case.

The only weak spots atm in my opinion are my hard drive and vid card I used what I had in my old build. thinking on an ssd drive for the operating system and would like to use a amd radeon gpu ?

The computer is used mainly for everyday use and some mmo gaming, Everquest 2 and planetside 2....atm

any thoughts on the gpu, would like to stay under 250.00 us...and the operating system is win7 64

My best advice to you is to save a little longer on the SSD, and the GPU. You can live for now. Than when you have the required funds you can go crazy, and get a really nice GPU, and a really nice SSD. And not have to upgrade 2/3 years down the road. Get my drift? Buy the best now, have the decent later!

Thank you both for your fast responses, I have been looking at the 7850 line of cards with 2gb mem, as far as the ssd i'm really not sold on that yet. whats bothering me is a 5.9 windows score which is my hard drive...was thinking an ssd for boot and a 2tb drive for storage..

I don't use an SSD in any of my machines. I tried one, and it wasn't much of an increase. Mostly because i have a lot of patience...

WEI is a useless benchmark.

I'm sure there are cheaper and better quality cases than the HAF932 that will fit a H110.

First order of business would be to get rid of the junk power supply that's possibly doing some long term damage to your parts.

You could always get a GTX760, it just came out in your price range. Roughly the performance of a 670.

Let's see..

WEI is a useless benchmark.
SSD's are really one of the best, 'feel' upgrades one can add to a PC.
PSU should be upgraded to a QUALITY unit, 500W is PLENTY. Don't overspend there and go 750.

Again thank you all for your fast responses I am just partial to the haf 932 ...I have had good luck with the diablotek power supplies but will bow to more learned folks and look into replacing it. Again while I have had nvidia cards in the past I think I'm more of an amd guy..

Side note the system is overclocked to 4.3 atm and the gpu to max through the stock programs provided by the venders...stable and running good atm..

As far as PSUs go, check our list of recommended units in the power supply section. Can't go wrong with those :thup:

There are many good PSUs that aren't on the list either. Any PSU you buy should be backed up by a review from here, Jonnyguru.com, hardwaresecrets.com, or hardocp.com. Most websites don't have the proper equipment to test PSUs.

Last edited:
Well this could be the OP's PSU really does not look to good with high 12 volt Ripple, not stable only good for HTPC or Back up PSU and cheaply made!! Hmm running a FX 8350 well i would try to keep that at Stock until i find myself a very good PSU. ;):thup:

1, http://www.thinkcomputers.org/diablotek-ul-series-575w-power-supply-review/4/

Very sorry OP, but just thinking about all that hard work and saving to build and buy those parts. Hate to think that PSU let go and took all that with it maybe! :shrug:

Well looks like he's gone hope he has just logged off!

Last edited:
OH great your back, nice to see, the other thing i wanted to mention is try not OC that Motherboard too far! When you have your new PSU, why because the VRM Section is only 6+2 Power phases on the Board. If your not sure of what i am saying just ask me thanks. ;) :thup:

1, http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/M5A99FX_PRO_R20/

If i am wrong then i will edit this post!!! :salute:

wasn't going to go to far into the overclocking, this being my first time out. also waiting till i can install the corsair h110...I did find an Apower 680 power supply in my pile of computers...going to ck it on the forums later.....

Ok the apower 680 is junk so no go on that, took the corsair h110 back and traded it for some ram for my wifes rig...the thought on this is with her up and running i can give her the msi r6670 when i upgrade and dodge some grief......

Last edited:
Back