• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First build, need some help/suggestions.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

KomradKickass

Backstory
----------------------------------------------------------
I have just graduated college, as such, I have been using my laptop for gaming for the past 4 years, now I feel that it is time to build a desktop for my gaming needs.

Needs/Wants
1) This is going to be a budget build (see "recent grad" status above)
2) I frequently do LAN style parties/move my computer around, so this needs to be a SFF build.

Where I am at now.
I have decided to go with a mini ITX build, as this seems to fit my need #2.
What I can scavenge from an old laptop/spare parts are as follows:
-60GB SSD (will use for OS)
-500GB and 320GB 2.5in HDD
-Windows 7 activation Key
Cost -- FREE!

Went to a nearby MicroCenter while visiting family and picked up
-Bitfenix Prodigy Case
-CM Hyper 212 EVO
-230mm Bitfenix spectre case fan
Cost -- appx $110 (212 and Prodigy were on sale)

Newegg had a great deal, so i picked up
-Corsair 500M PSU
Cost -- $34 (after rebate)

Now comes the hard part....

CPU
I am leaning towards picking up either:
AMD A8-6600K or AMD A10-6800k
As this is a budget build, the AMDs seem to be much better bang for your buck when compared to intels, however I am open to suggestions.

MB
Assuming that I go with one of the AMDs above, I have the following choices for MB
Choice 1) MSI FM2-A75IA-E53
Choice 2) ASRock FM2A85X-ITX
Choice 3) ASRock FM2A75M-ITX R2.0

This is my first main suggestion I need
I really like the fact that the MSI has WiFi+Bluetooth built in, as I use BT quite often, and the WiFi is nice to have.

As for the ASrocks, the 85x seems like it is an all around upgrade compared to the 75, however, at microcenter i can get the 75 and the 6600k bundled for $170. That being said neither of the ASRocks come with built in wireless, which is a minus for them.

QUESTION: If i were to go with an ASRock, what are the available methods for adding wireless capabilities(assuming my PCIe slot is used for video card)? I have seen some ITX boards that have a mini PCIe slot on them, which would be great if the ASRocks did, because I have an extra wireless card from a laptop, however, I do not see a slot on either of them. As far as i can tell the only option left is to use a USB dongle thing, but that could end up offseting the bundled savings. Also if i were to use the unused USB 2.0 header on the MB to attach an internal USB dongle, would the case interfere with the signal much? (I know that the MSI is also available for bundling though MicroCenter, but they are sold out at my local one.)

Also, In my search I came across this Gigabyte 85X + WiFi, which looks awesome, but i cannot find it for sale ANYWHERE! Anyone seen one of these for sale?

So what are your thoughts/suggestions on MSI vs. ASRock and 75 vs 85x for this? Also i read that some of the ASRocks like to catch on fire, however, I am hoping that this was fixed, hence the "Rev. 2.0", can anyone confirm?

Video Card
Leaning towards a Radeon 7850, although I am open for suggestions.
For the 7850, is getting the 2GB version worth the extra cash?

RAM
Probably Low Profile Corsair Vengence, only question is weather to go 2X4GB or single 8GB stick

Bonus Round!
What to do with 5.25 drive bay?
-Cheap Fan controller? (would look good with the front mesh of the prodigy I would think
-Convert to a 3.5 drive bay, so that when i eventually pick up a 1TB 3.5, I can stick it in there, which would also allow me to remove the bottom HD caddy from the case, reducing clutter and improving airflow.
-Convert it to a drawer, then cutout and attach a USB port to the back of the drawer (using the USB 2.0 header) so i can put my phone in there to charge/mouse for storage/whatever.

So if I went the budget route: ASRock CPU+MB deal + 1GB 7850, I could have this done for under $550

There's my plan. Any suggestions/Fatal flaws?

One recommendation is that if your going to spend good money on a dedicated graphics card, don't waste your money on an APU. Get the fx instead.

One recommendation is that if your going to spend good money on a dedicated graphics card, don't waste your money on an APU. Get the fx instead.

The problem is that i cannot find a mini itx in socket AM3+, I may be wrong, in a bit new to the whole desktop thing.

Don't buy a mini ITX mobo? The case will hold larger mobos. Mini boards are really lacking on power phases for the CPU etc anyway and other hookups you might want later, like extra SATA connections. Mini ITX is best for small Media centers with lesser CPUs. Like the A10 you were suggesting.

Back