• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0 problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mrnull

so i've just built myself a new system
motherboard is in the title
AMD FX-6300
8GB corsair 1600 ram
radeon 7870 n2GB
2TB HDD seagate
700watt PSU(in win desert fox commander iii)
the problem is the motherboard wont boot
power gets to it, i've checked and triple checked all connections
tryed to PSU with a different mobo cpu and it powers them fine, all the new parts i got are fine except for the mobo

i know it needs a BIOS update so the FX-6300 will work in it and i should be able to do it using a USB drive with the latest BIOS update using the usb bios flashbck feature to update it, but i cant, im even ment to be able to do that without even having the cpu/ram/gpu plugged in, just the PSU, but it aint working

i'd like to try everything possible before doing a RMA, but if thats my only option then i guess i'll have to do it

Do you have the thumb drive formatted in fAT32

jUST OPENED MY MANUAL AND IT SAYS YOU NEED TO USE THE WIZARD TO SET UP THE FLASH. Damn caps

flash drive has been formatted to fat32, its 8GB, also have a 1GB flash drive that i formatted to fat16 and still no luck, have tryed every bios listed on the asus site as wellcant even get anything to come up on screen to be able to install the flashback wizard

Is the flash drive bootable (is it supposed to be?)? NOt sure if it has to be using that method however...

Sis you rename it M5A99FX.CAP ? Also come to think of it I didn't have to flash mine for the 8350. How many sticks is your ram?

Is the flash drive bootable (is it supposed to be?)? NOt sure if it has to be using that method however...

I would think the wizard would set it up properly but I've never had to use that feature knock on wood.

, have tryed every bios listed on the asus site as wellcant even get anything to come up on screen to be able to install the flashback wizard

You installed the wizard from another computer to the flash right?

Ya I know but sometimes I just get excited and the ideas on the screen before I realize what I've done :chair:

1 stick of 8gb
flash drives i dont have set to be bootable because u have the system fully powered down, and there a smaall button on the bottom left hand corner of the mobo and it powers up one usb port to read the bios file from
renamed the file to M5A99FX.CAP
even tryed renaming it so it was all lower case
the 6300 is support from bios version 1006 and up, same with the 8350
this is buggin the hell outta me, just got it today :/ i've contacted the company i brought it from, and also asus, still no reply from them
but then again u do tend to get my reliable tech support off forums lol

oo didnt think of that? will the install wiz somehow mod my flashdirve so it will work? if that all thats need im gonna punch myself lol

I'm certain that it will install a small prog that takes care of things once you hit the button. Just follow the steps on page 2-13

I'll be back in a bit got a couple things to do.

You said you have one stick of ram? Is it in slot 2?

yup, in slot 2, everything is where it should be, before i even putting anything together i read the manual so i didnt stuff anything up, the only thing i need to do is get the bios updated so it supports the 6300
have been searching the net for answers, and it seems with the m5a99px pro r2.0 every now and then someone gets a dud, and even with older supported cpu's they wont boot up, but each one i've read about that happening i've read that the person having the trouble has been given a replacement mobo and they havnt had a problem with it
think i might of just got stuck with a dud, it should boot up, see theres a cpu+gpu+ram, the only POST light that showing is the cpu one, the cpu fan is running, same with the gpu fan, i can hear the hdd spinning up when i turn it on, even my br-drive powers up
none of the other POST light turn on, only the CPU one, thats why i figure if i can upgrade the bios, it will recognize the 6300 and run fine

I'm out of ideas. Would you happen to have another set of ram to try?

unfortunately no
only other ram i have is sd-ram, ddr-ram and ddr2-ram
im just gonna rma it, see if i can get a refund and get the Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3

I have the same asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0 board with a amd 4.6 am3+ fx processor, 2 x asus hd7980radeonvideos setup in crossfire and 4 x 8 gig corsair vengeance 2133 ram. IT HAS THE EXACT SAME ISSUES I returned it and processor and corsair 2133 ram 8 gig for new stuff and it has the same problems as the previous ones. cpu red light comes on immediately on power up and fans nothing else. and the direct bios update wont work from the usb. I think it has to be enabled in the bios settings to work and you cant get to bios because of cpu error.i tried everything I know, barebones everything unplugged 1 mem 2 mem 4 mem diff brand mem, diff video , bootable usb data usb,you might try another cpu that works, look and change settings then try again. I`m screwed previous computers were all intels. lol really stinks too have 2 grand of atm useless parts I cant use lo

update its running now got a friends 8120fx booted flashed bios good to go. by the way my real issue direct flbk option disable in bios for some reason, manual says the default is enabled but mine was disabled on arrival.

Last edited:
by the way my wife has a gigabyte 990fxa uda am3+ board if tour into overclocking that isn't gonna cut it. but it did work out of the box lol

I have used this function loads of times on a asus board (MVG) and it worked no problem, as long as the bios was renamed .cap and the correct USB port used (white for ROG,one underneath Ethernet port at bottom for m5a99x), make sure you hold down the fbk button until it starts flashing, does it flash at all?

Btw: leave the board Totaly bare, except for the psu connected.

Back