• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

opened up my wii

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

(G{in}[AK)TION]

JUST SO YOU KNOW my wii is out of warraty. its REALLY old. expired in 2009.

anywii, in 2011 i opened up my wii before to replace the laser lens and it was able to play games just fine.

but this year, 2013, my older sister was playing medal of honor on the wii and it was working fine. but when my younger sister got on next after the older sister, she was unable to get her game working.

we tried again wtih other games and it wont work. it even gave us the black screen saying an error has occured. so i opened the wii again and find that the disc drive is turning the disc for a few seconsd and stops then a few seconds and stops.

is there a way to fix the drive or would it be better to buy a new drive for the wii?

I had an odd issue with my Wii a while ago. It just stopped playing one day and so I left the machine alone for at least a year. One day I was like what the heck and tried it... and it worked perfectly. I hacked it that day and backed up all my games to a HDD, so I don't even use my optical drive anymore. :thup:

Unrelated but funny story. My daughter fed some safety pins into my Wii back in 2006 when she was 2ish years old, and I didn't realize it at the time. I would try and play games and they would spin but it couldn't read the disk. I finally took it apart and found a safety pin sitting right on top of the laser, took it out and things worked well after that.

On topic, I hope you get your Wii working again as they have some entertaining games

Unrelated but funny story. My daughter fed some safety pins into my Wii back in 2006 when she was 2ish years old, and I didn't realize it at the time. I would try and play games and they would spin but it couldn't read the disk. I finally took it apart and found a safety pin sitting right on top of the laser, took it out and things worked well after that.

On topic, I hope you get your Wii working again as they have some entertaining games

still cant get the drive working. its broken beyond repair prob anyway. ill just buy a replacement drive on ebay instead. but that will come later since my sisters laptop is more important.

well i opened the drive. went in a little deeper. found that its the motor thats the problem. it feels really tight too. but i dont think i can get inside. i may have to buy another one....is this normal btw? it did stop and then try spinning again over and over while i was trying to start the wii.

Back