• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Power supply for sli 660's?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pigpottomus

So I was looking at the evga 750b power supply and I'm wondering if the 12v rails for it is good? Since I looked at the 12v amps on the psu which was only 20 amps per graphics power cable when the msi gtx 660s require at least 24 amps? Would it matter or not matter much? I'm currently low on budget at the moment so I chose this one. Thanks in advance. :D

The 660 is a low end enough card that you could get a single card, such as a 7970 or 770, that is a significant upgrade. Single card solutions are almost always more power efficient, produce leas heat, and are less glitchy/encounter less issues.

Really, most here advise only to go with SLI or CFX when you have a pretty high end card (think 7950/670+). Video cards are also powerful enough that you can max out pretty much any game on a single screen with a single card, so SLI/CFX are more for triple screen setups.

7970 or 770. 770 is slightly better but a bit more expensive. They're about equal in what you get for you money.

I disagree. SLI works great and with the new GTX 760 you have the option of going 3-way SLI. I just ordered 2 eVGA SC II GTX 760 2GB for SLI from my current 2 eVGA GTX 460 1GB SLI that has worked flawlessly and error-free for over 3 years!:drool:

I disagree. SLI works great and with the new GTX 760 you have the option of going 3-way SLI. I just ordered 2 eVGA SC II GTX 760 2GB for SLI from my current 2 eVGA GTX 460 1GB SLI that has worked flawlessly and error-free for over 3 years!:drool:

Alwais get the best single GPU you can, never go dual GPU as your first pick.

What would be the possible problems with sli?
*Price for performance is not 1:1... What I mean by that is when you get two cards, its never 2x performance. It can vary from none at all (rare, but happens, especially in new games until a profile comes out), to 90% while averages seem to be around 50-70% give maybe 10% more. So you are paying 2x but not getting 2x performance ever.

*Power consumption and heat dissipation can become an issue. 2 cards generally use more power than one more powerful card. In that same light, they will output more heat which needs to be removed from the case.

*SLI/CFx to low end cards is a bad way to do things as it leaves you with no upgrade path. At least with a higher end single card, in a year or two, getting another isnt a half bad idea... but at least there is that option.

I would only SLI/CFx with 2560x1440/1660 resolution or greater or multi-monitor configurations. Chances are, it will work. But if not, then you have to deal with those issues. Those issue do not exist with a single card.

I'm kinda having the same questions, i had overclocked the heck out of a single 660ti for a year now and i'm thinking of going on sli, a 660ti in sli is doing a great job even with titan. but changing to 7970 would cost alot coz i'll have to sell my card which i like for a low price and get a new one after the 700s arrived.also not getting much of an improvement on the long run,, but people would start selling for an upgrade.. so a used 660ti would be like having the best of this situation,right? how much power does it need at maximum?

SLI has been fine for me, tbh I dont know what people are complaining about with it not working or lagging.

Turn on Vsync if it lags lol

The only real problems are heat and power consumption.

Can't afford a new 7xx? SLI your 6xxs.

Hmmmmm You guys got me thinking now. Lol, Still currently in the process of building this one, but afterwards ill probably sell it and go intel with better graphics card. But ill keep this in mind, thanks guys! :D

SLI what? For two cards, 1kw is overkill... Including overclocking both gpus and cpu... But it still helps to know what cards and cpu specifically.....

Still can't get a handle on how to put the specs:bang head

My fault

Mb: GB z68zp-ud3r
CPU: 2600k @ 4.6ghz 1.41v
GPU: 660ti x2 (soon)
2x SSD 3x hdd, 6 led fans
razer bw ultimate keyboard,wireless network card,7.1 audigy sound card.maybe more usb devices will be connected(hdd,charging mobile) , trust me i'm worried because my Gigabyte 720w 80+ silver shut down on me folding with one graphic card installed.still have to pair it..

Back