• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

JEDEC voltage specs for DDR3

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

magellan

I've read that the JEDEC specs state that DDR3 memory shouldn't suffer any
permanent damage if subjected to 1.975V or less. So does that mean I don't
have to worry about increasing the voltage on my G-skill Ripjaws up to that
point?

I only ask because I've fried DDR-3200 memory in the past by over volting
it and it didn't take long to do so either.

Would 1.624V V-DIMM be a dangerous voltage to run my Ripjaws at? This is
pretty much the minimum V-DIMM I need to get to 2240Mhz. It's
not so much I can't afford to replace it as I don't want to go through the hassle
of doing so.

I've read that the JEDEC specs state that DDR3 memory shouldn't suffer any
permanent damage if subjected to 1.975V or less. So does that mean I don't
have to worry about increasing the voltage on my G-skill Ripjaws up to that
point?

I only ask because I've fried DDR-3200 memory in the past by over volting
it and it didn't take long to do so either.

Would 1.624V V-DIMM be a dangerous voltage to run my Ripjaws at? This is
pretty much the minimum V-DIMM I need to get to 2240Mhz. It's
not so much I can't afford to replace it as I don't want to go through the hassle
of doing so.

if you're rolling an intel cpu 1.55 is the max safe voltage for your ram before you start to risk damaging the cpu. (that said you may be safe a bit over that point)

Some Hynix DDR3 chips, like the H5TQ2G83CFR that are probably very similar to the H5TQ2G83BFR chips found on some RipJaws, have an absolute maximum voltage of 1.80V instead of 1.975V (page 10):

http://www.skhynix.com/inc/pdfDownl...ram/Computing_DDR3_H5TQ2G4(8)3CFR(Rev1.0).pdf

Oddly, unlike that Hynix 1.5v chip, some 1.35V DDR3 chips are rated for 1.975V max.

As for how long a chip can be operated at its absolute maximum, I couldn't find any definite information in sci.electronics.design, but the consensus seemed to be that no chip should be operated for months or years at absolute maximum.

if you're rolling an intel cpu 1.55 is the max safe voltage for your ram before you start to risk damaging the cpu. (that said you may be safe a bit over that point)

I checked over Intel's datasheet for the SB-E's and it indicates that the max. voltage for VCCD ("Processor IO supply voltage for DDR3 with respect to Vss") is 1.85V.

Edit 1:
What's the exact model of Ripjaws you have?

From the plastic container they came in:

F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL

Last edited by a moderator:
Back