• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Too many variable at once.. not sure what is at fault now

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kyij

Ok, so my goal is to get 4 monitors up and running, 3 of which will be in eyefinity at 5760x1080 and the other is a tv that does some 1024x768..

Well I was simply using the tv via VGA while I got all of the parts in. Well I did, and decided to give it a go. Firstly I tried getting the eyefinity setup onboard along with the APU as my board supports it natively as long as the third connection is a DP like how AMD likes it. For reference, the DP I purchased can be found here on eBay. Also all of the wiring is all HDMI and is being ran for 35' if it can make a difference (I know it can, but I though issues started at 100+ft).

All at once, I plugged in the HDMI, DVI to HDMI and DP to HDMI, which all ran to my 3 same sized monitors. 2 monitors I previously had, one is used/new to me. First boot was fine, got into bios with the monitor that was dvi and DP. Well then I tried to post again but no luck (also changed voltage on cpu) so I figured I just had to reset the bios. Tried the switch on the the back of the board, no vail. Tried the clr cmos jumpers, still nothing. Well busted the pc out of it's cubby and put it aside, with just the hdmi only plugged in, it was fine. So once Windows loaded, I then hooked all of the monitors up like previously but only got a display from the HDMI and the DVI.. The DP was detected, bt had no display. I tried to set up eyefinity, which I got it going but I still had no display going to it, and also, the monitor thinks it is connected (shows a blue led instead of a orange / going to standby). After a while, I finally gave up, never got the DP to show up. Anyway, I bought a video card (see sig) but it is the 6670 that can pair with my APU. But was told by AMD that I can effectively disable the crossfire between gpu and PCI card, and effectly could use 6 monitors without any daisychains. So I installed it, and got the DP to show up but the DP ocasionally flashed with no correct colors.. I could see the windows screen for a second but sooner than it came, it was gone. This happened several times.. I tried check and using different HDMI's / etc but no avail. Any how, I got the card running two monitors right now, one through the HDMI and one through the DVI both on the card. I also tried plugging in one HDMI on the board, and a monitor was detected but it could not identify the type / model nor did it display anything. Although the main problem with the monitor I initailly tried doing the DP with, but am only using hdmi is producing some kind of black blurs "outisde" of what windows calls 1080.. I mean this is a good one 2-3cm (1 inch-see attachment) in a directions bordering the windows screen, although on my other windows screen, it has the black area but it is not flashing pixels. So maybe my computer thinks I have a 1200 res or something? And before installing the driver for my pci graphics, I did not have a border issue, but did have a pink pixel issues.

I am sure I missed a few things I already have tried, but I am running out of ideas myself at this point. I am thinking the DP adapter is bad and possibly also have a bad gou.. :shrug: What are your opinions..

:blah::blah::blah:

Attachments

• IMAG0599.jpg
    IMAG0599.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 117
Last edited:
Well I am going to say video card will be returned since every monitor hooked up to it, gives the 1" border, and any in the hdmi give the lines / stuck pixel like rendering (only some areas) but I will have to play with it tonight by putting it in a different pci slot..

the 1" border is a scaling issue because of the hdmi its a easy fix just go into your catalyst control center (ccc) click on my digital flat panels then click on scaling options and move the slider to the right :)

as for the rest of it its kinda hard to follow but i think you got a wrong/bad DP adapter... you need a ACTIVE dp adapter so you can use 3 screens the adapter you got says its active but its worded kinda funny i bet if you get one from newegg it will work fine....
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814999030
and why are you trying to connect everything via hdmi? hdmi and dvi is the same thing there is no video improvements the only good thing about hdmi is that you get audio....

as for the artifacts your getting i would run the amd driver uninstall tool and download the latest drivers and see if that helps if not looks like your card is bad or overheating lol....

the 1" border is a scaling issue because of the hdmi its a easy fix just go into your catalyst control center (ccc) click on my digital flat panels then click on scaling options and move the slider to the right :)

as for the rest of it its kinda hard to follow but i think you got a wrong/bad DP adapter... you need a ACTIVE dp adapter so you can use 3 screens the adapter you got says its active but its worded kinda funny i bet if you get one from newegg it will work fine....
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814999030
and why are you trying to connect everything via hdmi? hdmi and dvi is the same thing there is no video improvements the only good thing about hdmi is that you get audio....

as for the artifacts your getting i would run the amd driver uninstall tool and download the latest drivers and see if that helps if not looks like your card is bad or overheating lol....

I am sure a lot of that is true. Though the border was not the only problem when I was using the video card. I simply returned the video card. And got an rma issued from the DP seller. They are sending me a new one, and send me a shipping label. So if the next fails, I will definitely goto newegg.

Edit: As for the whole HDMI thing, I just wanted something that was simple and semi cheap, so I decided on these and zip tied all of the cords around my room to keep cabel management to a min. They were only $12 per so I am not too worried about that price.. about the same as my DP adapter..

so why the 35' cable? is your pc out of your room or something? iv been thinking about relocating mine its making my room really hot!

so why the 35' cable? is your pc out of your room or something? iv been thinking about relocating mine its making my room really hot!

My PC is actually near my bead stand, sounds weird / vulnerable but it is less than my desk area. As I am going to bring drinks etc over to my setup.. If I spill a drink and happens to land on pc.. well.. I have not totaled what I have in it yet, but it keeps growing in cost, but you get the point. And it is not like it is 35' from it to my monitors, although I run the cable mostly out of site. So people / do not trip over it, etc.

SO I got the new adapter (replacement) and nothing displays, even after setting up the eyefinity. I just get a black screen... So I guess I will order one on newegg and see if it still does this. Maybe I am setting something up wrong?

Well since I opened a case with the seller and they sent another right away for free.. this one produces a black screen as stated. I will call AMD and ask about eyefinity.. if for some reason I have it wrong as I feel this one is fine. If it is not I will definitely order the one you linked. Thanks.

Back