• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Will an SSD help me ???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

xxmrbarniexx

Registered
Hey guys,
My mom has a sony vaio labtop 15.5 inches screen.
Specs:
1/2 gb of ram ddr1
80 gb hdd
intel single core celeron ( dunno speed of it)
If i buy an ssd, will it increase performance alot?? i am planning on buying this ssd - There are many mpositive reviews, i am not trying to spend a fortune and 120 gb is plenty for here. All she uses is internet and skype.

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-120GB...ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1373173542&sr=1-1

Will this start skype within 2 seconds, will it stop lagging? will internet searching be much better?

Thanks guys.

An SSD will help for boot time, general prog loading time and overall quickness of the computer but in the end ( in your case ) this is still a very old laptop. A single core celero with only 1/2gb of ram will strugle at running vista/W7 anyway.

well startup time for it is about 1 and a half minutes, so is shut down, it starts skype in like 45 seconds, but sometimes it freezes on here and she cant see the picture. Should i get it?? Is it a good SSD?

If you can find the ram (since it is ddr1) I'd upgrade that before I spent the $$$ on a SSD

This SSD is good. Adding some RAM could help alot too since vista/w7 need ~2gb usually to run OK, 4gb being better. But in the end, dont spend too much money on such an old laptop, only spend mony on something you can use on the next laptop she could buy ( like the SSD, it's ok ).

Well my plan was when her labtop ****s out, i would scrap it and take the old HDD and SSD and put it in my gaming computer. Her ram maxes out at 1 gb of ram bt its too much money to upgrade the ram, its better to get the SSD i think???

Unless you get the ram for free, since you cant reuse DDR1 on newer rig, yes, get an SSD and keep it for futur rig later on.

Having an SSD will improve the performance of Virtual Memory, so it might help quite a bit. You can also use a USB stick if you have an extra one laying around, I know that helped me out on an old computer when I had limited RAM. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/products/features/readyboost

Laptops have gotten a lot cheaper in recent years, but as others have said you can reuse the SSD so it's not a wasted investment like RAM would be.

LaPtop. Not labtop. :)

+1 to KB above. Though there is no way I would put an SSD into such an old laptop. Its time for another.

I think you'd see a performance improvement going from Vista to 7 alone.

For that laptop, I'd spend a couple of bucks on RAM and forget about the rest. KB is right, the SSD can help with paging, however, if you increase the physical RAM you will see a decrease in paging anyway.

A quick browse at pricewatch.com shows 1GB sticks at under $20 each, and 512MB for $7.00.

I wouldn't put an SSD in it.

Back