• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HT Link capped at 1000mhz?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mrsteve0924

Cubed Beef Stew Member
everything i read usually says the default for HT link and cpu-nb is 2000mhz. my bios doesn't have any options higher than 1000mhz for HT. and if i set the base clock too high, pushing the HT link over 1000mhz, i cant boot. i get a bad check sum error.

am i missing something?

edit: could it be that since hypertransport is DDR that sometimes it's expressed as 1000mhz x 2 = 2000mhz?

Last edited:
1. I googled that board and various processors now for about 1.5 hours and I never did see anything that would make me believe that motherboard is very effective as an overclocking board. Mostly questions with very few if any good results. HT above 210 and board would not boot.

2. AMD Athlon II X4 640
Frequency 3000 MHz
Bus speed > 667 MHz Memory controller
One 2000 MHz 16-bit HyperTransport link
HyperTransport 3 technology

3. However when you go to the Biostar website they say the HT is some odd naming like 2G. If that is HT 2.0 and not HT 3.0 then I suspect there will be HT issues. You might try and flash the latest bios and see if there is a difference. From what I can read and understand the motherboard and the cpu are not talking to each other to say what is the default of the HT or the 'expected' HT speed that the cpu can do.

4. If there is no newer bios for later cpus, then I imagine you are where it seems many of my g00gle hits took me and that was to issues and poor overclocking.

5. Of course the famous, "clear the CMOS", has already been done more than once because of your no boot conditions. If a CMOS clear does not allow the cpu to tell the board its' exact defaults, then I imagine you are pretty much thru since the board and cpu are already off on their opposite feet with an incorrect HT setting from the get go. Only a bios that is correct would change that.
RGone...

wow. 1.5 hours. thanks for putting in the time! yes i figured the board wasnt the best for overclocking. will not buy a Biostar again.

That board works with HT specification V 2.0 b. 1000Mhz is correct. Corresponds to 2.0 GT/s (GigaTransfers per second). This is something the marketing people who write the
specs seem to (intentionally?) mix up.
If you want to try overclock keep the HT below 1000MHz and and raise the clock. Of course see also that you have a divider on the RAM frequency as to not overclock RAM too much, causing instability.

http://www.hypertransport.org/default.cfm?page=HyperTransportSpecifications2

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HyperTransport

yea my biostar boards report 1000 in the bios but 2000 read in cpuz or what have you.

as far as overlcocking and HT link, on previous boards i unintentionaly OCed the HT bus to no ill effects, it was a Heka tri core phenom, i'd OC using the bus so it would get ram aswell and the only thing i noticed is that load speeds were reduced, not any thing major. no stability issues relating from the HT link speeds though, there should also be an option to give it some more juice but if your not OCing it then it wont matter.

and i am not talking small ammounts of OC, it was 3500-4000Mhz when it should have been 2000

OP processor should be running 2ghz effective. Or 2000mhz and should be reported as such at stock.

It would be the same HT speed as a Phenom II 965BE of HT 2000mhz.

Athlon II
http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/K10/AMD-Athlon II X4 640 - ADX640WFK42GM (ADX640WFGMBOX).html

Phenom II
http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/K10/AMD-Phenom II X4 965 - HDX965FBK4DGM.html

my bios doesn't have any options higher than 1000mhz for HT

Is this while the system is stock after a clear cmos? If so, you likely need a bios update or the bios just simply doesn't list higher speeds. It's known to happen. IE: my Sabo rev one on the 3rd released bios had not Ram settings beyond 1600. With the latest bios I have up to 2000mhz.

On the note of the motherboard, the Chipset is quite old and pretty much bottom of the barrel. That would be why many options are locked up on that board.

Back