• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Updated Bios now I have little to no internet

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jajalinks

Registered
So I had previous BSOD issues majorly, two things ended up fixing that 1: RMA some ram, 2: updated bios. This is great no more BSOD's or so I thought it was great. Now I'm getting little to no internet, I un-installed my Tp-link drivers, that didn't fix the issue so I tried a system restore (probably the 60th one in 6 months so I didn't lose anything), however I have the exact same problem. When I say little internet I mean 10-20kb/s which means the programs I need to reinstall will take over 8 weeks to download. Before updating the bios I had 1.2mb-8mb/s download speeds on everything I downloaded.

Motherboard: ASUS M5970 Evo

Bios Update: 1600

CPU: AMD FX 8120

OS/Virus: Windows 8 Professional

RAM: Patriot 4x2gb 1600mhz

GPU: Radeon 6870

USB Internet : TL-WN822N Tp-Link

Errors I was getting the most was that the default gateway wasn't available, however windows said it fixed the problem. However this never actually gets fixed, I even reset our router which did nothing. I'm at a loss, do I flash bios back and get a million BSOD's every day or do I keep it how it is and lose internet?? To date I've sent 20 emails to reps from MS, called over 12 times, even once paid the $100 and they never could help me (past 6 months) I find it funny that $150 software has zero support (except the amazing people on here!!!)

July 13th, 2013

So here's my current problem:
USB Wi-Fi adapter is receiving 130 or 270 (depending on router settings) mbs. Wi-Fi icon goes from 3-5 bars but most of the time websites won't load.
When websites won't load I receive errors like "Check website, TSL Protocols, Gateway connection, Router Connection" Sometimes after that I run diagnose connection problems and when it's finished I'll receive stuff like "Windows detected no error", or Windows could not fix issue, other times it says default gateway was unavailable and that it was fixed. Even though it wasn't fixed at all. When it does work I get 120-300kbs, I know I aready said this, but that is WAY Low for my internet/adapter.

So here's what I've done the past few days:
Reset router
Deleted Router cache
changed TSL protocol settings
Tripple checked Obtain gateway and IPV4 address were checked to automatic
Updated ALL drivers- Video, Wi-Fi, mouse, ect...
Ran windows network identifier
Installed, un-installed, re-installed wifi drivers (around 3 times)
Read my motherboard manual (found nothing to do with Wi-Fi found lan settings but those didn't affect anything)
Re-installing Windows 8 won't helps its been tried twice
Tested the Internet adapter on a 4 year old emachine and a 6 year old hp desktop they all were getting the 1.2-8 mbs download speeds that I used to get before the bios update.

7/15/2013 Internet Finally Fixed 99.99%

Well had to do a netsh winsocket reset catalog and a netsh int ip reset reset.log hit to fix the issue, clicked restart and bam 1.5 mb/s for downloads. Crazy how two simple lines will fix a problems..Thanks to all whom tried helping!!!

Last edited:
Did you update your network drivers after the BIOS flash? Also, check in BIOS and find out if there are switchable options for your onboard network chip. (I didn't look at your manual).

Yes I reinstalled the drivers after reinstalling the operating system, today my download speeds went back to 4-500kb/s so it may be fixed. I've looked through bios I couldn't find anything specific for an onboard chip. I use a tp-link usb dongle its a TL-WN822N

If you are not using the onbaord NIC, then flashing the bios shouldnt have a thing to do with your DL speeds. Since its a USB device, installing the proper USB drivers and its own drivers are about all that affects it.

Sounds like its resolved... ish.

So yes the issues is partially resolved, however it's still useless to me. I do a lot spiral work I.E I'll look one thing up and end up have 12+ tabs open along with some youtube videos. I'm still getting this error with just one page open. I checked the TSL and some other protocols and I still get this error. My laptop works just fine so its not the network. In the bottom of the screen when I look at the wifi signal my computers always at 3-5 bars, yet I still receive errors that say I can't connect to the gateway.

Back