• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GB 990FX UD3 OC help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
In general when one gets a particular overclock stable with no errors at the speed they reach and can run Prime95 Blend for two hours without the CPU socket temps exceeding about 70c and the CPU core/package temps not to exceed about 60c, then it is believed today by most of us to be pretty stable. Others of us do other tests for periods of time but a general opinion is that the testing above points to stability. So you need to begin at a beginning and for "every system" that is usually a different place.

Take and turn off all green stuff in bios. set Windows power management to "power" mode and then pick you a starting spot for a baseline of information about volts and temps. Maybe 200x19 multiplier for 3800Mhz and that though if set in bios correctly with green stuff off will give 3800Mhz. Fair place to begin. Then test as below for about 20 mins at a time as one goes up the Mhz scale. When the Max CPU speed is reached the final P95 Blend run should be at least 2 hours for verification of expected stability.

Makes answering about overclocking an AMD cpu easier.

CPU Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

Memory Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

SPD Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

And this is screen capture of HWMonitor (free version) from CPUID com
HWMonitor has been scrolled enough and large enough to show Min/Max of Voltages and includes the CPU Core Temps; which are n0w called Package Temps, fully visible.

This capture is made of HWMonitor after it has been open on the desktop logging Min/Max temps and voltages while Prime 95 was running Blend Mode test on all cores for at least 20 mins and then the capture of HWMonitor was made and it shows the Min/Max temps and voltages before P95 Blend was started and while running P95 Blend mode and gives much greater insight into how the system is performing without guessing.

attachment.php

In order to attach screenshots of INDIVIDUAL images as suggested, first crop and capture the images with Snipping Tool found in Windows Accessories or equivalent. Then click on Go Advanced, a button at the bottom of every new post window. Then click on the little paperclip tool at the top of the Advanced post window when it opens. Clicking on the paperclip tool brings up the file browser/upload tool and the rest is fairly obvious.

my friend Rgone is right once again.

Well I don't know if it is right again. It is simple logic to know where I am to know where I might go next. That is a baseline and fully evident in any scientific study.

I would guess that across the internet that there are over 1,000,000 pretty fair overclocking guides. G00gle would find too many to count. Raise the cpu multiplier or the FSB/BCLK/HT Ref and add Vcore to the cpu to support the overspeed. And it has been that way since the very beginning.

Since the early 90's I have probably overclocked at least 500 motherboards plus cpu give or take 50 units. Always it is the same. Get a baseline and go upward from there.
RGone...

Thanks for all the info. I now have a Stable 4.5ghz OC running 1.4v and my temps don't exceed 45c on anything.

Back