• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ht and CPU-NB too high?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mrsteve0924

Cubed Beef Stew Member
in my bios HT defaults to 800MHZ, but the options go up to 1000MHZ. the CPU-NB defaults to 1600mhz but options go up to 2000mhz.

since these higher options exist i assume i could run at these higher settings. so i have tried and have been running good but only when at the stock CPU speed or a little above.

once i overclock to about 3.6ghz i keep getting a checksum error.

if i back off HT and CPU-NB to their default settings i wont get checksum error and runs stable.

i guess i can live with it, but i am wondering if i should be able to run with HT and NB higher.

You don't want to increase HT. It isn't a limiting factor, so extra HT bandwidth doesn't help anything.

CPU-NB can help, but only moderately compared to an increase in core frequency. So I'd leave HT at default settings (this is also the ideal setting for HT when running 7-8GHz - there really isn't a benefit of increasing HT even at extreme frequencies), increase your core clock to what you can do while stable, and maybe try a little extra CPU-NB and see if it is happy about it. If you can't increase CPU-NB at all without losing stability, it may need a little more voltage, or you could just leave it be - the affect of increasing CPU-NB is positive, but its only a small advantage.

if i back off HT and CPU-NB to their default settings i wont get checksum error and runs stable.

i guess i can live with it, but i am wondering if i should be able to run with HT and NB higher.

With that board and the funny things it does with the cpu; I think you are plain fortunate to get 3.6Ghz. You have proven what has to happen with HT and CPU_NB to be stable and reach 3.6Ghz, I just don't see anything else happening without a move to a better motherboard.
RGone...

thanks for the replies. just wanted to make sure i was squeezing out every ounce of performance i could.

next time i will make sure i buy a better board for overclocking.

Back