• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

realistic power supply

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

XFXKilla

Registered
I plan on building an HTPC fairly soon.
My main concern is power consumption, because I really would like my HTPC to be always on, or sleeping when not in use.

I want to be able to move my mouse and it starts right back up if I happen to watch cable TV ( local news) and then decide to switch over to my HTPC / XBMC system.

I don't want to waste anytime waiting for something to boot up... launching applications, etc. It needs to be family friendly and easy to use.

So realistically do I need some powerful power supply for a micro atx motherboard, with 2 TB harddrives? How low can I go?

Maybe 100W? I think AMD has some 65W APUs, I don't know about lower powered Intel stuff off the top of my head now.

EDIT: i3-2120T and Pentium G630T are both 35W, Sandy Bridge core. Say 10W each for the HDD, could be like 70W total.

Not a cost effective way to build, but cannibalizing a cheap Haswell laptop would be ridiculously low power consumption (should have two SATA ports for HDD and optical drive).

Last edited:
currently I am using an old laptop for xbmc, but it can't play 1080p very well. I just want another project to do, starting to get parts together now.

I really do need to get a kill-a-watt, but in my HTPC and NAS I'm running a Silverstone ST50F-P 500w with PP05 short modular cables. They are both quiet and happy, but I'm sure they are hardly breaking a sweat.

Your power consumption difference will be negligible on different wattage power supplies (without taking efficiency into account). I'm sure you wouldn't have an issue running an efficient 300W.

I run XBMC on my HTPC and I just put it in sleep when I'm not using it. With my phone I can wake it up in less than a second and be at a menu. If I need to reboot, the SSD helps make it under 20 seconds.

Last edited:
I have an I3- Dual Core 3.4 .. just looking for a good micro-ATX for it.

One issue is there are very few low wattage power supplies with standard atx form factors. Most are some really weird form factor. Some ITX mb's use external bricks and coaxial power connectors.

Another issue is most small power supplies aren't very efficient. Look for 80+ certification. Seasonic does make a small form factor power supply. I think it is around 200w.

I bought a rosewill fortress. It isn't small, but it is the lowest power (450W) platinum efficiency ps I could find. I don't think it will fit in a small case though...

GET SPARKLE POWERED INOCORPERATED (SPI). i have had one of their supplys for around 13 years and it still working without a problem! even after being dropped!

if i were you, i would get this one here http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817103012

should be enough for what you need it for. also, i suggest you get an SSD and have the computer go into hibernate when no one is using it. or standby which sets the computer into a low power state if you arent so concerned with power usage.

EDIT: heres another one i found >> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817103077&IsVirtualParent=1

sff ps is a great idea. You should be looking at a case. I have the antec nsk2400. It takes a standard atx power supply and a micro atx mb. I think you should select your case, mb, and ps together so they all will be compatible. I think there are adapter plates so sff ps will fit a standard atx ps hole.

I also highly recommend using a ssd if you don't really need 2tb of storage.
If you really do, you might consider two 1tb notebook drives. Not cheaper, but they will
take up less space and use less power.

Back