• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

amd 6100 turbo clock

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bardock

Hey guys,
I have the AMD FX6100 as seen in my sign.. Now the FSB and all that stuff is stock, what I did though i setting the turbo clock to 3,6 GHz through BIOS. I've been watching closely to CPU-Z today, just to check, and from what I see when the turbo core kicks in I get 1,414V. I'm willing to OC my CPU in couple weeks or so.. Isn't the 1,414V a bit too high even for the turbo core?

when using turbo core you have to have the vcore set up enough to support the clock you have turbo core set for.
if your 24/7 clock is 3800 but you set turbo core to kick it up to 4.5, you have to have enough vcore to run 4.5, if you don't the system will crash due to low vcore. even though it's only clocked to 4.5 for a few seconds, it's still a 4.5 cpu clock.

so I guess it's normal for the turbo clock to reach up at that voltage.. what happens when I OC my CPU to 4,2 let's say and the turbo core kicks it up to 4,6? Most probably it will need somewhere near 1,60-1,70V. Won't it cause problems?

no, not in our life times.
when you start overclocking turbo core should be turned off.

If I were setting out today to build a rig to have fun overclocking it would be an Intel 2011 socket platform. Otherwise there would be no adjustable BCLK and that is just no fun to overclock for me. Just about anyone can buy an Intel SandyBridge, Ivy Bridge or what it is now Haswell and set a multiplier and add vcore and cooling and it is pretty much job done. And in games today, such a rig would likely outgame most FX processors. That just is not my idea of overclocking fun. Since I am not a huge gamer, the FX-8350 I have clocked to 4.8Ghz handles my video editting workload in a very handy manner. Plus I can change the BCLK and overclock this and that and it puts a few more challenges in the mix. It would take the 2011 series of cpu to give me that much pleasure in playing with overclocking. YMMV.
RGone...

If I were setting out today to build a rig to have fun overclocking it would be an Intel 2011 socket platform. Otherwise there would be no adjustable BCLK and that is just no fun to overclock for me. Just about anyone can buy an Intel SandyBridge, Ivy Bridge or what it is now Haswell and set a multiplier and add vcore and cooling and it is pretty much job done. And in games today, such a rig would likely outgame most FX processors. That just is not my idea of overclocking fun. Since I am not a huge gamer, the FX-8350 I have clocked to 4.8Ghz handles my video editting workload in a very handy manner. Plus I can change the BCLK and overclock this and that and it puts a few more challenges in the mix. It would take the 2011 series of cpu to give me that much pleasure in playing with overclocking. YMMV.
RGone...

Well, then I guess I'll be going for the new FX series since I like it to be a bit of a challenge :p Plus, I won't hide it.. I'm a bit of an AMD boy ^^

skip the 9xxx cpus, it looks like it's just an overpriced 8350, but a well binned 8350.

skip the 9xxx cpus, it looks like it's just an overpriced 8350, but a well binned 8350.

Well, the FX 9370(as u probably will know this better than me) it's gonna be stock clocked at 4,4GHz and the FX 9590 will be 4,7GHz with a new architecture on their chips... I guess they must be better than the 8350. But who knows, when they benchmark it, we'll all find out if they worth ;)

For sure... But the OCs are gonna be huge too compared to the 8350 or the 4770k..

Not hardly on your life is the FX 9xxx going to overclock so darn far. One review linked in another thread shows that without HUGE air cooling or H100 mini-loop, even the 4.7Ghz default speed for the big FX is not stable and they had a hard time getting 5.0Ghz stable on H100, so the clocks wlll be very similar to a good FX-8350 and not some badazz overclocking monster.
RGone...

Not hardly on your life is the FX 9xxx going to overclock so darn far. One review linked in another thread shows that without HUGE air cooling or H100 mini-loop, even the 4.7Ghz default speed for the big FX is not stable and they had a hard time getting 5.0Ghz stable on H100, so the clocks wlll be very similar to a good FX-8350 and not some badazz overclocking monster.
RGone...

Hopefully they will develop it till its release and make it a bit more stable?:shrug:

9xxx series will be nothing more than top-binned 8350 chips overclocked to 5.0Ghz. This is going to be ugly amounts of negative PR for AMD. I wish they weren't doing it.

Back