• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

latest tech on microboards

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mrsteve0924

Cubed Beef Stew Member
i am thinking about getting a new motherboard and i have noticed that you can't get the latest and greatest technology on microATX boards (at least with AMD sockets).

i dont see the latest AMD chipsets on micro boards as well as usb3.0, PCIe 3.0 and sata 3. only see these on full ATX boards.

the micro boards seem to have all the legacy stuff like FDD, IDE headers and print headers (does anyone use these?) while ATX boards dont. also, the micros seem to always have on board video.

is this generally how the manufacturers market their boards? or am i off base?

i dont really need a full atx board but would like some of the higher end features that seem to only come with them.

Yep. That is the sad reality for people who want a high-end AMD mATX system. There's just no full-featured AM3+ mobo on the market. :rain:

My best guess is that AMD doesn't allow it, otherwise there would be at least one manufacturer to do it. :screwy:

1. > mATX mobos can hardly handle the load of an 8 core cpu that someone would try and stick in it.

2. > AMD is not going to split up their market with AM3+ mATX mobos when they are marketing a full line of APUs most of which are mATX generally.

I think it's less that mATX have issues with the heat (See: Rampage III Gene, 1366 OCing board, those chips were every bit as demanding) and more that there isn't much of a demand for high heat mid range performance mATX. People these days want to use mATX for a HTPC or somesuch, and a bulldozer is not exactly an ideal HTPC chip.

Really, I expect you can't because AMD says you can't.

so AMD can dictate to mobo manufacturers what to include on the motherboard? interesting.

Really, I expect you can't because AMD says you can't.

That.

I think there's somewhat of a market, albeit quite small. For one, I would be interested. I think the top tier manufacturer could propose a 990FX mATX motherboard and they would sell enough. Power is not an issue as Bob said. There's plenty of mATX board for Intel chips that consume every bit as much power. Looking at FM2 offerings, one still can't find anything high-ish end. For example, there's simply no AMD board that can do CrossFire or SLI in a mATX package. I know, I've been searching.

AMD is somewhat shooting itself in the foot, especially when you think they should take any chances to increase their sales. What to they have to lose by letting board manufacturers implement high-end chipsets in mATX boards? I don't get it. :confused:

Having worked for a motherboard company for a few years, I have heard that tale about, Oh just give us this thing and we are sure it will sell. It never did. Most people still opted for the cheapest setup and never came forth for that thing they clamored so much for. I am pretty sure the motherboard companies are fully aware of such buying habits of consumers. Such is mostly a fact of life.
RGone...

Back