• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking for current AMD based MB with IDE socket & wish list

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

videobruce

I haven't upgraded since 2007, I usually don't wait that long, but my current MB has the features I like, but is now dated by processor limitations.

What I'm looking for is:

1. AMD based MB that has one IDE connector so I can easily access older IDE drives. The 970 chipset MB's don't have any IDE ports (that I found). The 990 chipset does, but I didn't really want all the other bells & whistles, namely the ability to run multiple graphic cards. The cost difference is almost 2x which is hard to justify. (I really don't do any gaming.)

2. I'm also interested in power consumption since my current nForce 7 board and non green PS is a power hog (by todays standards).

3. The other question is the processor. Is a six core worth the difference in price over a four core when used for any HDTV application?

4. Serial port or at least a header (which many have).

5. Two PS2 ports (which many have).

6. Optical and/or digital audio. (not a priority)

7. Price? I would prefer to stay under $100, but that isn't cast in stone.

8. Boot menu outside the Bios screen.

9. eSATA port.

I know there are IDE cards, but I would on board due to concerns for drivers and possible boot issues to use that drive as a boot drive if I need to.
I'm running XP and would like to stay that way, but I understand there are hardware issues (as usual) so I may be forced to go with Win 7 (forget 8).

Lastly, brand is flexible. I was leaning towards Asus, ASRock & Gigibyte and kinda wanted to stay away from MSI, Biostar & ECS. Opinions welcome here also.

Last edited:
I recall some FM2 motherboards that have IDE ports, if you're willing to go that way. The boards are cheap and they have nice feature sets. In fact, the chipsets for FM2 are much more recent tech than 970 & co.

You might be better off getting an IDE to sata converter or something. If you find a board you'd prefer but it doesn't have IDE connections, I wouldn't let that sway your decision.

Thanks Theocnobb, that is what I am leaning towards though it was more than I wanting to spend. Buying a extra card only adds cost that would make more sense to put that towards the MB.

How about the availability of a separate Boot Menu outside the BIOS allowing changing boot order with entering into the BIOS itself?

I understand pressing F8 is suppose to bring up some type of a Boot menu. Does anyone know if any MB's have a separate Boot Menu that can be made available by a BIOS choice?

My nForce 570 Foxconn does have this and I must admit I'm now spoiled by having it.

I'm pretty sure most current motherboards have a shortcut for boot menu. At least all of mine for the last... 6-7 years have at least.

Look at the manual for any prospective boards I would imagine it would list shortcuts for boot menu etc on the post screen.

Back