• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE ASUS Releases First FM2+ Motherboards

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Overclockers.com

Top-tier motherboard manufacturer, ASUS has released to market the first two products to support upcoming Kaveri APUs from AMD, confirming new features in the process. The new motherboards are poetically named A55BM-A/USB3 and A88XM-A and are based on AMD current A55 chipset and new A88X chipset, respectively. Both boards have the same overall layout with one PCI-E x16, one PCI-E x1 and one PCI slot. They both feature a couple USB 3.0 ports on the back panel; the A88X chipset does it natively, while the A55BM-A/USB3 must rely on a third party controller to do so. They both fit the micro ATX si...

... Return to article to continue reading.

It said end of 2013, holiday release? Also the first news I'm hearing of steamroller. Excited to see some benches vs. Richland.

Kaveri is slated for late 2013 but people in the industry are really expecting an early 2014 release. It will feature Steamroller cores which are said to bring a nice upgrade in performance.

Sadly, no sign of those new cores for desktop yet. AMD hasn't even included any SR parts in its server roadmap until mid-2014. AMD is all focused on APUs as of late, as they should.

AMD is all focused on APUs as of late, as they should.

Agreed. Releasing steamroller desktop before the APU would likely be a miss, I doubt it can catch intel's lead (though one can hope). Their APU segment is a lot more unique.

My x6 still chugs along quite nicely, and I can't find any reason to justify upgrading to either side of the fence. Intel just isn't worth the money for a performance margin I probably won't use.

Glad to see PCIe 3.0 on the new chipset though, a step in the right direction. Hopefully the rest of the chipset can compare to Z87...I feel like that's half the reason for going 1155.

I think Richland was just a mid model refresh wasn't it?

Yep. It's not much more than a tweaked Trinity part. Kaveri, on the other hand, is an all new design with improvements on all fronts: CPU, GPU, power management, hUMA... It's something to look forward to.

Back