• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sad Day =(

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

InhumanSkills

Turns out that adding an aftermarket WC to my ASUS 780's voids the warranty. So I will be forced to send them back to Newegg for a $189 restocking fee so I can buy two EVGA cards...

Should have read into this before!!! :bang head

Well... Why do they need to know? Just put the stock cooler back on upon the need for an RMA (unless the water cooling breaks it of course).

I wouldn't eat that type of restocking fee personally... bleh.

I actually havn't even put them in my computer. They are brand new in box.

I was planning on adding a water loop right away and I didnt think they would get me for it unless of course I or the loop was responsible for the damage, I.E. water damage etc.

$189 + shipping... You're right I can't just eat that fee...

I guess ill just keep them on air for a while, if they work alright I can venture into WC later and chance it with the RMA process.

Kinda makes me regret this impulse buy. First time not buying EVGA, and also the last time.

Most companies have warranty restrictions against using an aftermarket heatsink. Does evga specifically state that it won't void anything? Or would you have bought a hydrocopper? I know zotac is (or at least were OK with removing as long as they get it back how it should look)

Most companies have warranty restrictions against using an aftermarket heatsink. Does evga specifically state that it won't void anything? Or would you have bought a hydrocopper? I know zotac is (or at least were OK with removing as long as they get it back how it should look)

EVGA is ok with after market coolers as long as they did not cause harm to the PCB. I'm pretty sure that as long as you did not physically modify your PCB EVGA will work with you on the warranty.

Edit: Then again I could be going insane...

Last edited:
everyone I know just slap back on the original heatsink and refund it too.

unless you threw away the parts... then.. better luck next time.

EVGA allows you to put any 3rd party cooler on it whether its AIR or WATER. Even changing the TIM is ok. Just as long as the user doesn't cause any damage. Basically you can do anything you want once you get the card, all they ask for is to give them the card back the way it came to you out of the box. No questions asked. Thanks and have a great day is their policy. :salute:

Best of all, the card keeps the warranty intact even if its sold for 3 years, from purchase date of course.

EVGA allows you to put any 3rd party cooler on it whether its AIR or WATER. Even changing the TIM is ok. Just as long as the user doesn't cause any damage. Basically you can do anything you want once you get the card, all they ask for is to give them the card back the way it came to you out of the box. No questions asked. Thanks and have a great day is their policy. :salute:

Best of all, the card keeps the warranty intact even if its sold for 3 years, from purchase date of course.

Yea that's what I heard.

Idiot me thought that well hey EVGA has this awesome policy, ASUS's can't be far from it right? WRONG

When I do add WC I will just have to pray they don't break. If they do I will just have to put them together like they came and hope for the best.

I wonder how easy it is for them to tell if I changed the TIM? Maybe I just get something that looks very similar to what they put on there?

Before I even think about adding WC I'm going to make sure the cards run stable with the stock coolers.

Look at this fail ASUS QC...
IMG_20130719_185303.jpg
Hmmmm I wonder where this goes! Could be important right?

IMG_20130719_185350.jpg
Ohh hi there!

I would contact them and say "I found this screw in my box, is it important?"

Probably would end up getting funny.

According to Asus putting that screw in there would void my varanty since

"the product has been tampered, repaired and/or modified by non-authorized personnel"

:rofl:

Oh wow. All this talk and now this? How ironic eh? :rofl:

Looks like an RMA sans restocking fees to me. Defective part. Is your other one missing a sticker or something?

That's not a bad idea but from what I have read when you call ASUS (AMD or any non US based company for that matter) @ 1-000-Good-Luck, they might put the blame on him! OR not even answer. Hell they pretty much don't exist out there. It's a whole other "world" out there. :rofl:

I guess you can say, it won't hurt to try.

Oh wow. All this talk and now this? How ironic eh? :rofl:

That's not a bad idea but from what I have read when you call ASUS (AMD or any non US based company for that matter) @ 1-000-Good-Luck, they might put the blame on him! OR not even answer. Hell they pretty much don't exist out there. It's a whole other "world" out there. :rofl:

I guess you can say, it won't hurt to try.

Needless to said I "fixed" the fan took about 5 seconds. (At least they were nice enough to include the screw!)
I will end up keeping these card because I've always had good luck with Asus products.

Only two that broke was my old MB, ethernet port was fried when lightning struck a tree next to our house. Asus replaced it at no cost even after the warranty was expired. Was a tad bit annoying dealing with the Jamaican customer support though LOL. "Yoo now maan? De CMOS is nex to de blu tingy bei de PCIE"

Then my ASUS N61-jq's keyboard died after a window unit in a hotel spewed water on it overnight. $50 replacement keyboard.

Needless to said I "fixed" the fan took about 5 seconds. (At least they were nice enough to include the screw!)

:rofl:

Only two that broke was my old MB, ethernet port was fried when lightning struck a tree next to our house. Asus replaced it at no cost even after the warranty was expired. Was a tad bit annoying dealing with the Jamaican customer support though LOL. "Yoo now maan? De CMOS is nex to de blu tingy bei de PCIE"

Then my ASUS N61-jq's keyboard died after a window unit in a hotel spewed water on it overnight. $50 replacement keyboard.

:facepalm: Holy molly.....Can you say jinxed?!!! Man talk about bad luck. Drink some holy water or something.....:p

:facepalm: Holy molly.....Can you say jinxed?!!! Man talk about bad luck. Drink some holy water or something.....:p

Wellll... I lived on a golf course for a while, right next to the tee box. Somone managed to slice a ball and it went straight through the living room window, hit/broke a light switch, bounced into my office (located on the other side of the house!) and broke my new 2 day old monitor.

It was a 1:1000000 shot.

It was a pink ladies ball.

I have the best luck in the world!!!

At that point you just call your insurance agent and say "You need to see this."

Wellll... I lived on a golf course for a while, right next to the tee box. Somone managed to slice a ball and it went straight through the living room window, hit/broke a light switch, bounced into my office (located on the other side of the house!) and broke my new 2 day old monitor.

It was a 1:1000000 shot.

It was a pink ladies ball.

I have the best luck in the world!!!

Alright........I don't think Holy Water will be enough. Its time to do a exorcism. :snipe:

If you're worried about the potential issues with the Asus warranty because of water cooling, then don't forget that using ANYTHING but the stock Intel cooler is against their warranty. :rolleyes: Just hang on to the stock cooler and put it back on, unless you have a moral issue because you caused the damage.

If you're worried about the potential issues with the Asus warranty because of water cooling, then don't forget that using ANYTHING but the stock Intel cooler is against their warranty. :rolleyes: Just hang on to the stock cooler and put it back on, unless you have a moral issue because you caused the damage.

Haha is it really? Wow I never thought about that.

Of course I woulnd't send in a card that has a big ole water spot on it. But if they turn out like my last card, GTX 670 FTW from EVGA which had artifacting out of the box, then yea I will RMA them and pray that they don't blame me for it.

Asus just got $1400 of my hard earned moneyz! They can look the other way once right?

Back