• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Program to find hidden temp files?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jmdixon85

I was using free download manager until I realised if the download didn't complete or was stopped that it would leave a hidden partial download file behind.

Rather than go through every directory I have saved a file to is there a program that could do this for me?

what file extension would it use? you could do a search for *.XXX [xxx being the extension if it is unique]

By far the best utility I've ever found for things like this is called Treesize. It's been on my utility usb stick for quite some time.

Edit: Corrected link.

Last edited:
Thanks awktane but I was looking for a program that would scan for a certain file type and allow me to delete the files in bulk.

I tried the program anyway but it just crashes when I select my storage drive. I'm guessing the program doesn't like networked drives or has a size limitation of the drive it scans. (my storage drive is 3TB, RAID 5)

Hmm very strange. I've used it on a 24TB drive. It isn't networked though.... My apologies I thought you were looking for the files not trying to bulk delete.

I was using free download manager until I realised if the download didn't complete or was stopped that it would leave a hidden partial download file behind.

Rather than go through every directory I have saved a file to is there a program that could do this for me?

If you're trying to bulk delete a file type simply go to the folder or partition, select "Type" as the filter, and type the file extension into the search parameters. Once you do that you can easily select everything and then delete it.

If I was misinterpreting you, let me know and I'll do my best to help you again.

Back