• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Motherboard advice.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Not $70, but my GA-970A-UD3 is doing amazing with the FX-6300. Running 4.4GHz currently with the GTX 770.

Don't cheap out on buying a motherboard for an FX-6300 unless you want to do it twice.

I'd suggest nothing less than 8+2 VRM to handle the power needs. I don't think the 6300 is as power hungry as the 8350 but you still need a lot of quality, stable power if you intend to overclock even a little.

Unfortunately $70 isn't going to cut it unless you're going used. I'd recommend nothing less than a Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3 or equivalent from a different manufacturer.

"Buy this Mobo", Yes some would say its slightly Over kill, but there is a very good reason for what i am suggesting here!! The reason is simple you buy this once and then you can up grade to a FX 8350 at anytime in the future. At the moment there is only 3 Motherboards that can manage a FX 8350, CHV, Fatal1ty 990FX, Asrock EX 9! AJ. ;) :thup:

1, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157358

Last edited:
FX-6300 is only 95w, so if you don't plan on upgrading the CPU to a 125w part in the future, you can probably find something decent around $100. That is what I would do, personally.

Well, that board I listed is pushing ~150W under full load to my 6300 without a hitch :thup:

Back