• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Shopping for reliable on-the-go email/web- Nexus, Droid, or Laptop?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

OCMusicJunkie

Okay, so this is embarrassing to admit but I've clung to my Samsung T519 as my cell for ages due to it's form factor. I am realizing though I need something that works like furniture to get emails and internet wherever I am at or whatever state my desktop machines may be presently in. I rarely am somewhere without wifi, so actual mobile internet isn't a huge factor. Mostly I just want ot make sure I can get full-feature internet access foor email, social media, news blogs, and occasional ticket purchases. Either web or app access to spotify would be a huge plus too. I have been out of the market for anything preconfigured for so long, I don't even know what I'm looking at here.

I think it comes down to 1) 7" Nexus tablet 2) some model Droid or Samsung Galaxy or 3) the cheapest 15" laptop I can find with an A-series processor, dropping in, upgraded memory and a 120gb SSD with Linux OS.

I don't know how capable the phone/tablet options have become these days compared to an entry-level laptop. Could one actual keep up rendering the same webpages in full format via wifi? And how often would I be likely to run into software snags where I won't be able to access something like spottily or ticketmaster's proprietary interfaces? My tablet is a Creative Ziio right now, so not exactly an equal for a modern device to compare I hope. Avice guys?

I haven't had any major problems browsing on my phone. Most websites with proprietary interfaces like Ticketmaster have an app.

If you don't need mobile data, a Nexus 7 would be the way to go.

I vote Nexus 7. The new one just came out, grab it.

I don't ever use mobile web pages (I've got an 8GB first gen), and it syncs all my emails just fine.

I've had a first gen Nexus 7 for a while now, and I love it. I don't take it out since it's just a Wifi version (and I don't have access to Wifi), but the second gen is an even better tablet. I would highly recommend it.

Edit: I feel like I should throw in that I have an HTC One as well, which is actually decent in terms of mobile browsing. It's nothing compared to my desktop, and forum responses take a long time to spell check, etc. But if I'm in my house, I will typically use my phone (on Wifi) unless my tablet is already with me.

Just got the 2nd generation Nexus 7, love it!!!!

Supports bluetooth 4.0, plenty of keyboards. But I don't personally use an external keyboard on it. The slim size and lightweight is best when it's mobile.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...1+600009730&IsNodeId=1&Tpk=bluetooth keyboard

Totally agree! Just got one myself and love it.

And this is from a person that has the full blown 10" tablet with keyboard, Asus Transformer Infinity (TF700) and this just blows it out of the water for responsiveness all around. Besides being nearly 1/5 the weight its a win win :)

Back