• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Old IDE HDs-- what to do?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Viper69

I have several old IDE HDs, all work. They range from 30 gigs to 300gigs in size. Currently they are all in external enclosures.

Is there something better I can do with them ?

Get them backed up before they bite the dust? Would be the best thing you can possibly do with them. LOL

If you have a desk at work where your back faces the door, you could use the platters for mirrors to see people coming.

Then, anyone who knows what a platter looks like will be like "That's cool!"

i take the platters out and get those little stick on rubber feet and use them as coasters

then use the neo magnets to magnetize my tools.

Last edited:
Or you could give them away
some ppl still use IDE
*cough*

I have 2 8GB, 1.6GB and 100gb

i have an 8GB SSD lol!! i actually use two 250gb ide drives striped in my pxe server... they are still slow lol

I see guys...No I was looking for USEFUL ideas hahah...never mind. I'll keep buying external enclosures. They serve as redundant backups for important files. I wasn't sure if I could combine them all with software and have them serves as 1 giant drive.

You can run them in JBOD and have them show up as one giant drive, or RAID 5 if you have a bunch of similar capacity.

Use a Highpoint 454 if you don't have enough PATA channels - it will support eight drives.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816115016 (or http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816115016)

I have a 6GB Hitachi MicroDrive (1" CompactFlash, 3600rpm, 128kb cache) that I keep around.

Are there any limitations in JBOD regarding the drives, my size range is 20gig to 300 gig or so, and anywhere in between. They are all different makes/models too, the only thing they have in common is spindle speed and being IDE, all are 7200rpm.

Thnks in advance

The problem with running that many old drives is the cost of a controller like that in addition to the electricity they will draw is going to be more than a larger capacity drive. That isn't even mentioning the fact that they are much farther in their life, more likely to die, and it will likely be a pain to setup. I wouldn't suggest it. However, if that seems fun to you, by all means, try it. Old hardware can be fun to play with. I wouldn't store anything you care about on it, though.

There are no limitations for JBOD.

With RAID 5 all the member drives will be treated as the same size as the smallest drive (and as fast as the slowest drive).

For all the reasons thideras pointed out I would not use it for any critical data, even in a RAID 5 array.

But if you want to play around with some different RAID setups then PATA controllers are pretty cheap right now.

The problem with running that many old drives is the cost of a controller like that in addition to the electricity they will draw is going to be more than a larger capacity drive. That isn't even mentioning the fact that they are much farther in their life, more likely to die, and it will likely be a pain to setup. I wouldn't suggest it. However, if that seems fun to you, by all means, try it. Old hardware can be fun to play with. I wouldn't store anything you care about on it, though.

Good point you guys on age, I forget the drives are old. I currently have them in their own external HD enclosures. They aren't used often at all, some aren't used but once or twice a year (the smaller ones). I only use them as redundant backups actually. I can't bring myself to just throw them out either.

I have a modern USB3.0 3 TB drive for "everything", but one drive can crap out. SO I use these for backups of like music and photos primarily. I burn stuff to DVD or CD as well. Nothing is perfect....or lasts forever.

I have quite a few old hard drives over the years and have done so many things with them.
When I built my first RAID it was from a few old similar drives that I had no more use for. I've bought docks and external enclosures to make them portable backups, I have put together media PCs that housed all of my music and home file servers that all my networked PCs do backups to. I've installed them as secondary drives to install and play around with Operating Systems I'm not familiar with.

Otherwise they're fun to take out back and put a few holes in before you end up tossing them out or recycling them.

And just for the sake of coolness :clap:
http://mashable.com/2011/09/13/hard-drive-creations/

I have quite a few old hard drives over the years and have done so many things with them.
When I built my first RAID it was from a few old similar drives that I had no more use for. I've bought docks and external enclosures to make them portable backups, I have put together media PCs that housed all of my music and home file servers that all my networked PCs do backups to. I've installed them as secondary drives to install and play around with Operating Systems I'm not familiar with.

Otherwise they're fun to take out back and put a few holes in before you end up tossing them out or recycling them.

And just for the sake of coolness :clap:
http://mashable.com/2011/09/13/hard-drive-creations/

I'm curious, if I wanted to explore a new OS and software that go along with it, be it Ubuntu or some Linux variant, what are some for a beginner to experiment with?

Thanks..I will look into Ubunto then. I've seen Linux..but never used it. All I remember is the desktop GUI looked cooler than Mac or Windows XP at the time. More 3Dsh effects of icon due to shading of the graphical UI.

Back