• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need input on possible dead MB

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hacktheplanet

Hi all new here and was wondering what the brains of overclockers think like have a cousin that I gave an old PC to to tinker with and learn about computers. It was an asus p4c800-e deluxe and I loved it when I built it back in the day. He was tinkering he says and his cat jumped up on the table knocking a glass of water down that ended up in the case. He said it was all unplugged because he was looking at the hardware so nothing was under current. He called me and I told him to take it apart and let it dry after shaking it off and he did for like half a week. Put it back together with me there and we get nothing I put a different new psu in we get the green led on the board but power button does nothing not even a light or a fan spin I re checked everything and even I am scratching my head. Watson else can I check I have a multimeter but not sure how to tag the problem. If it is the board anyone happen to know where I can pick up a used p4c800-e I'm not giving him a new pc

Thanks all for any info

I ended up with a DOA mobo on my current build. Basically I stripped the PC down to only the essentials to turn it on (no GPU, no RAM, assembled outside of the case). Then I checked my PSU on a different build to rule that out. Its super easy to narrow down if you have another PC to swap parts with and check what is actually working and what isn't. As far as a used mobo, craigslist? ebay? Not really sure about that part.

Thanks for the info but I have an update. OK so I went through everything and one by one removed hardware and still it wouldn't turn on I replaced the PSU with a working unit 400 watt and nothing on a p4c800-e deluxe p4 1gb ram dvd drive 1 hd and an x800pro ati card so I jumped the board green to black and it works just fine as long as the wire is left in once pulled it's off. Not sure what's up but I filled all 4 ram slots with a 1 gig chip 2 512mb chips and it reads as having 1.5 gigs instead of 2 then added a 256mb stick to the 4th slot lol and it now reads 1.75 gigs basically of ram somethings not right I'd rather just find a way to trouble shoot the board and fix it as a project to work on with my young cousin who's trying to learn about technology especially since everything else appears working any ideas?? Also another weird thing is upon POST the screen kinda wiggs out with a weird color pattern now and then boots just fine able to browse the net and watch a movie and everything as long as it stays jumped we never over clocked it I thought I'd start small with him and work up

Either one of the Memory slots isn't functioning properly or one of your sticks of 512MB RAM is dead would be my guess. Trying using only the two 512MB sticks: Start with them in any position and check if they both appear. If not then pull one to determine the dead stick. If both show up, move the second stick to the other slots and see if it is detected in all of them. If there is a dead slot then you'll know which one.

I shall when I get home later would that kind of problem be a reason for it to not boot without being jumped?

It shouldn't affect the booting as long as there's some working RAM, but it is a possibility.

dd the spilled water hit the switch

Could be the ower switch inthe case went bad you can get a switch from radio shack that can be mounted in a round hole so you can first connect it and see if pc boots with it. IF it does then just find spot in side of case or top drill hole and mount the switch. Im betting tis the switch since jumping does work. I seen that once or twice on older gateway pc and a lowercost build it yourself pc case.

Back