• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Project Experimental Murmur is complete (for now)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JeremyCT

Some initial numbers

P95 + Kombustor

Ambient = 23.0 deg C
Peak Water temp = 30.2 deg C
dT = 7.2
GPU peak = 48 deg C
CPU peak = 48 deg C

That was with the fans at a steady 5 volts. Under more typical loads where the fans spin up based on water temperature, dT is typically around 5 deg C or less. The whole thing is pretty quiet. My power supply fan, which I'd always THOUGHT was silent, is now audible in a quiet room with the system idling. It's impressive. I'm happy. Thank you to everyone who's helped answer my numerous questions over the past few weeks. While this wasn't my first water cooling rodeo, I sure felt like a n00b at certain points.

attachment.php

There are more pictures in the build thread linked to in my signature if you're interested.

If anybody wants numbers for specific loads I'm happy to provide them if I have the program. Just ask.

Last edited:
Fahk. The damn thing had been running for >24 hours. I took some pictures, posted this, and now...

BIOS beep codes. 1 long, 2 short. Monitor or graphics card error.

Is it at all possible that I cracked the die and it didn't fail until now, or is that a "it works or it doesn't" sort of thing?

It booted to OS once. All others are beep codes. I feel physically I'll. I'm going to try to sleep. More diagnostics tomorrow. I've already looked, it's not a leak.

Couldn't sleep, go figure. Disconnected everything, brought the box onto the desk and opened it up.

OK, self. It's possible the card is cooked. If it's not though, what's the most annoying problem to definitively diagnose?

Self: Power delivery.

OK, good. Now if it's a power delivery problem, what's the most annoying kind it could be?

Self: Some kind of weird intermittent connector issue.

:Looks at 6-pin power connectors. Looks at unused secondary pair for SLi.:

I swapped the 6-pin leads around, connect the monitor, keyboard, and mouse, and power it on. Successful POST. OS loads. Whoa. It CAN'T be that simple, can it? OK, start testing things. Temps look good, power consumption normal. OK, stress it. No issues in 10 minutes. Shut down stress testing.

It can't be easy, can it?

Power down the system, swap the 6-pin connectors back. Power on. System boots perfect. Start using it. 5 minutes later, system hard locks while looking at temps and the screen goes black and turns off. Power it down. Swap the 6-pin leads again. Nearly 20 minutes later and it seems things are humming along.

:shrug: I'm not complaining. I just hope the "fix" holds.
banana.gif

Maybe it's just the universe's way of reminding me that projects are rarely ever "done".

Couldn't sleep, go figure. Disconnected everything, brought the box onto the desk and opened it up.

OK, self. It's possible the card is cooked. If it's not though, what's the most annoying problem to definitively diagnose?

Self: Power delivery.

OK, good. Now if it's a power delivery problem, what's the most annoying kind it could be?

Self: Some kind of weird intermittent connector issue.

:Looks at 6-pin power connectors. Looks at unused secondary pair for SLi.:

I swapped the 6-pin leads around, connect the monitor, keyboard, and mouse, and power it on. Successful POST. OS loads. Whoa. It CAN'T be that simple, can it? OK, start testing things. Temps look good, power consumption normal. OK, stress it. No issues in 10 minutes. Shut down stress testing.

It can't be easy, can it?

Power down the system, swap the 6-pin connectors back. Power on. System boots perfect. Start using it. 5 minutes later, system hard locks while looking at temps and the screen goes black and turns off. Power it down. Swap the 6-pin leads again. Nearly 20 minutes later and it seems things are humming along.

:shrug: I'm not complaining. I just hope the "fix" holds.
banana.gif

Maybe it's just the universe's way of reminding me that projects are rarely ever "done".

Sounds like a bad PSU connector? (sorry its hangover Tuesdays so I can't think much atm)

Sounds like a bad PSU connector? (sorry its hangover Tuesdays so I can't think much atm)

Yea, seems that way. There's nothing wrong with it on visual inspection, but practical testing says that's where the issue was/is.

Have a PSU tester? Would be curious to see since there's not visual defect. I've seen folks complain that their plastic connector melted or what not. Multi-rail PSU? Could be a bad rail.

I just hope its not a no name PSU bought from ebay that shipped from china and took 3 weeks to show up. Note to self: Never again. :facepalm:

PC Power&Cooling unit. One big rail. It's got to be a problem with one or both of those leads in some way.

This is why you should make your own cables!

I don't need a new project!! :cry:

That'd be the way to do it in this case (pun!) though. The power supply itself is great, but it's not modular and the cable lengths are never quite right for what I need. Either too long and I have to deal with excess or too short and I need to put things where I didn't intend.

The stock leads are nicely sleeved and shrink wrapped though, it really was/is a quality unit. I'm surprised by this recent trouble. Five years later I can't complain about the quality. The second set of leads hasn't seen a ton of use, it could be as simple as mild corrosion inside the connector preventing a reliable power delivery path.

If you want to torture yourself or give your fingers a glimpse of what its like to be in a labor camp than by all means do your own cables. gasp...lol :sn:

Back