• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Crossfire ULPS Issues

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ClutchHunter

This issue has cropped up recently. 7970/7950 Crossfire.

ULPS enabled results in hardware acceleration randomly leaving the second card on 3D clocks and at 99% load.

ULPS disabled results in image corruption/flickering when Crossfire is enabled. This happens on all games where Crossfire is enabled. See:

I've tried different overclocking utilities to no effect. Help?

Does this happen at stock speeds?

Not sure. I'll reset both cards to stock clocks for now for the sake of testing.

Driver version?

13.8 beta. I think this started happening on 13.6 beta 2, but it coincided with me fiddling around with the driver configs among other things trying to fix a different issue which in the end I could only "fix" by leaving the primary card's memory clock at stock. I've tried AMD Uninstall Utility and then a fresh install but the problems in the OP arise again fairly quickly.

This sort of issue is difficult to test because it pops up somewhat at random, at least the ULPS-enabled side of it.

Try using the highest non-beta driver.

I had been going for quite a while on beta drivers (several weeks at least) without issues and this popped up when I was fiddling with configs. Usually I'd be okay with rolling back but I've been really enjoying the lack of microstuttering this week... any other ideas before I unleash frame pacing issues upon myself once more?

Quick note: Yes, I've tried completely deleting the configs I fiddled with.

For the sake of testing, give it a shot. If it disappears we know its driver related.

For the sake of testing, give it a shot. If it disappears we know its driver related.

For the duration whereby I didn't have issues ULPS was disabled so I'll stick with that. That's also the issue that is much more quickly reproduced.

I'll try stock clocks here on 13.8b1 and then on 13.4 and see what happens.

Is AMD's own uninstall utility (http://sites.amd.com/us/game/downloads/Pages/catalyst-uninstall-utility.aspx) alright or should I go to the hassle of using something like ATIMan?

Uninstalled drivers and installed 13.4 WHQL. Stock clocks. Flickering is still there.

Reverting back (...forwards) to 13.8b1.

Last edited:
I would do an uninstall, boot into safe mode, Use driver sweeper in safe mode, boot back into windows and install driver of choice.

Well damn.

(with ULPS disabled) So the problem isn't immediately appearing anymore. Whereas before it would happen instantly on any game, it's now only happening on specific games at random, e.g. right now Battlefield 3 & Crysis 3 are fine but Max Payne 3 gets the flickering.

So there's improvement but seemingly still an issue.

Back