• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SABERTOOTH 990FX/GEN3 R2.0 compatibility

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ian.b

Registered
Hey people of over clockers! I'm new to this so can you bare with me?

I'm building a new computer soon and I have a question about the mother board.

I will be probably getting the SABERTOOTH 990FX/GEN3 R2.0 http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/SABERTOOTH_990FXGEN3_R20/#overview

What I wanted to know, what ram is compatible, I was interested in getting 2x8gb, 2000mhz probably corsair.

I have looked around and couldn't find much, but I'm interested in ram of that speed. I can change brand if necessary as I don't really know the best brands.

If anyone can comment or link that would be very helpful!

Thanks. Ian

Everything I've seen says to avoid that GEN3 board like the plague. Usually, any RAM is "compatible". If you plan to overclock, then you start worrying about brands.

Last edited:
I guess the SABERTOOTH 990FX/GEN3 R2.0 went on sale at NewEgg about 7 or 8 weeks ago. Somewhere after being for sale for a few weeks, the board began to show out of stock at NewEgg. Like they were all RE-called or the like. I just looked and NewEgg still lists it as "out of stock". Something must have been wrong with the board and they were pulled from stock. I know the few that had one here in the this forum section had to send back and get a NON-GEN 3 board.
RGone...

Go with the Gen 2. The only thing you'll miss between Gen 2 and Gen 3 is PCI-e 3.0.

I had to return 2 Gen 3 boards before finally giving up and going with Gen 2.

The manual lists 2000 MHz in its QVL for memory , but you may need to overclock to get the board to run the memory at that speed.

ian.b, welcome to the forum.

Let's start out at square one:
What are you looking to build? A gaming pc, internet browsing etc...
Do you already have a Cpu and/or what Cpu are you planning on putting on the board?
Do you plan on overclocking?

Answer these questions and we can better help you.

So what I can gather the gen 3 is very crappy, but is the gen 2 fast? Is it a good board it get or is there something better?

That was just my experience with the Gen3; others have found it to be perfectly fine. Given that most retailers pulled it from their shelves shortly after it became available should be an indicator to beware.

The Gen 2 is fast it just doesn't have PCIe-3.0 like the Gen 3 does. Of course, we haven't even saturated the PCIe-2.0 bus yet, so a move to 3.0 will only increase the headroom available; it won't make anything faster.

For my money the best AM3+ boards are, in no particular order:

1. ASUS Crosshair V Formula Z
2. ASUS Sabertooth 990FX R2.0
3. ASRock 990FX Extreme 9

If I were building a system based on the 8xxx FX CPU and planned to overclock aggressively these three boards are all that I would consider. If I had no intention of overclocking then that list opens up considerably and would include a good 10-12 boards that I would be happy with.

So what I can gather the gen 3 is very crappy, but is the gen 2 fast? Is it a good board it get or is there something better?

I don't know, I have the Sabertooth Gen3 board on this unit and I have no problem running my CPU overclock at +5.0 GHz. and stable. Last night I did Unigin Valley benchmarking for a couple hours at 5017.1MHz. and never had a crash I attributed to the board or processor and everything was done on air using a Nactua NH-D14 CPU cooler. I personally have nothing bad to say about my particular board. That's my two cents.:D

I went to NewEgg just to look around even though the GEN3 was shown as out of stock. Looked at what some of the user reviews had to say.

1. Some said that their 'box' said it was a limited edition board only. That could mean a short period of time for availability.

2. Some DOAs but that happens.

3. Dead NIC, but have seen that before.

4. Many wondering about their 5 year warranty now that the board seems discontinued.

5. A few said that PCIe 3.0 was only available when AMD released a CPU supporting such feature.

6. One said the PCIe 3.0 was controlled by a switch.

All in all a very strange set of circumstances since there were posts from May that said the board was already discontinued but Asus still shows it on their own website, but I could not find it for sale thru normal channels in the Usa.
RGone...

I went to NewEgg just to look around even though the GEN3 was shown as out of stock. Looked at what some of the user reviews had to say.

1. Some said that their 'box' said it was a limited edition board only. That could mean a short period of time for availability.

2. Some DOAs but that happens.

3. Dead NIC, but have seen that before.

4. Many wondering about their 5 year warranty now that the board seems discontinued.

5. A few said that PCIe 3.0 was only available when AMD released a CPU supporting such feature.

6. One said the PCIe 3.0 was controlled by a switch.

All in all a very strange set of circumstances since there were posts from May that said the board was already discontinued but Asus still shows it on their own website, but I could not find it for sale thru normal channels in the Usa.
RGone...

Yeah, I just checked where I got mine on June 26, and it shows being out of stock there too. http://www.superbiiz.com/detail.php?name=MB-SB990FG

+5.0 GHz. and stable. Last night I did Unigin Valley benchmarking for a couple hours at 5017.1MHz. and never had a crash I attributed to the board or processor and everything was done on air using a Nactua NH-D14 CPU cooler.

Screenies?

Is a good thing Valley, like Heaven, isnt very CPU intensive. Let's see a 3D11 or Vantage run at those clocks on air. Their CPU tests are brutal. :)

5Ghz benchable on air... impressive! How about Vantage? That one last longer than 30 seconds, LOL!

5 gig on air is impressive. I'd like to see some more please......and maybe some bios settings and temps?

Screenies?

I just joined this site and as of yet, I haven't figured out how to post a picture, it want's me to post a URL and I just want to upload a screenshot. I've tried to attach the files to this post. I have no clue why the Valley report screen shows me running it at 4400MHz., because the second pic with the EVGA Precision Tuner, status monitior and the CPU-Z/GPU-Z are all taken just after I saved the Valley BM score. I have scored a little better than this, I was just doing it to show it can be done and in regards to a later post I posted the link to my 3D Mark11 score which does show a proper processor speed above 5.0MHz.

Attachments

• Screenie 1.jpg
    Screenie 1.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 435
  • Screenie.jpg
    Screenie.jpg
    419.1 KB · Views: 560
My system:

CPU: AMD FX-8350
Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth 990FX/Gen3 R2.0
Memory: G.Skill Trident X F3-2400C10D-16GTX --- 2x8GB
GPU: Galaxy GTX 780 HOF