• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Samsung Galaxy S4 Snapdragon 800 International

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kristian221

Anyone know what the release date in the U.S. may be on this new version of the Samsung Galaxy S4? I really want to nab the S4 but if this new version is coming out within the next month I would rather wait to upgrade. Gotta choose wisely since it is 2 years until another upgrade!

I had a dual core in my GS2 for two years. There is no reason that a quad core wouldn't last you two years as well. I don't think not getting an octo-core would really be a deal breaker.

That said, if there hasn't even been a release date "leaked" then it's probably a ways off. If it really is international, then why don't you buy one from over seas and use it with your personal SIM?

The internation version's specs were leaked, but it isn't on the market anywhere yet.

i have the 1.5ghz snapdragon quad in my htc droid dna, its an underclocked version of the one in the s4 with a cut down gpu, and it is still amazingly fast to me coming from a dual core galaxy nexus s. I dont think the s4 will have any trouble with specs over the next 2 years.

+1. I have the Snapdragon 600 in my HTC One. Easily overclocks the cpu and gpu to the levels of the S4 on stock (or lower) volts. The S4 will easily handle anything you throw at it.

That is what I thought of my droid Bionic. But even after a factory reset it lags and crashes constantly, so I am just very nervous about it.

Were you using the stock ROM on your Bionic? There is some VERY nice, and super stable software for the HTC One and S4 called the "Google Play Edition." The ROM is the same stock Google OS that you would find on the Nexus line of phones or on the Nexus Tablets. Google bought a bunch of the phones and sells them with their own OS installed so you don't deal with all the performance robbing bloat of the cell provider's version. The best part is that you can get a "regular" phone from a provider and then install the Google Edition ROM for a really clean interface.

Question though, would features such as the humidity sensor, the air gestures, eye tracking, ect (things that are specific to that phone alone) still work then? Because I actually like most of these features.

Not sure on that but sporting the S600 version in the Nexus 7 its a very powerful processor and gpu. Having faster clocks 2.1Ghz (vs 1.7Ghz) and 50% more GPU power its going to be a beast.

Worth the wait? Not sure I know the S4 has a nice CPU and GPU in it as is, though not sure where it sits for benches. Note though benches don't prove everything, the real performance comes from using the device and seeing how fluid it is.

The advantages of the 800 are less about its performance advantage...tho it smokes everything else. More about the other things it offers...Take a read...How about a battery that charges 75% faster, Less power usage for voice activation. The article doesn't even mention how it helps conserve power on the LG G2's screen, Along with the enhanced screen in the G2 the snapdragon allows the screen to only refresh the parts that refresh...So if your staring for a while at something or reading. It uses much less battery life. We all know the screen is the real killer of battery life.

I don't game, but man can the 800 run games!

http://thedroideffect.com/why-the-snapdragon-800-will-dominate-2013/

Last edited:
Question though, would features such as the humidity sensor, the air gestures, eye tracking, ect (things that are specific to that phone alone) still work then? Because I actually like most of these features.

Samsung specific stuff won't work on the straight android OS from the play edition.

Last edited:
That article barely mentions the Tegra. Anyways I was confused. The Tegra 4 has a slightly better CPU while the GPU in the 800 is a lot faster.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2013...on-800-benchmarked-sports-extremely-fast-gpu/

Article came out either a few days before or after the first Tegra 4 device was released to market. Will be interesting to see if it does better or not.

Samsung specific stuff won't work on the straight android OS from the play edition.

Correct because it doesn't have the framework under the OS to run the Samsung specific apps. Though I don't know what your getting at?

Well, I'm not sure it won't work. I've not tried with my HTC One, but I remember on my Galaxy S2, I was able to restore backups from a different ROM using Titanium Backup. An important note to make though, is that I think both ROM's have to be the same version (4.2.2 matches with 4.2.2, etc).

I don't think it so much has to do with the framework in the OS, but rather just a particular combination of Apps (and the subsequent processes) and the services to run with them.

Back