• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

unlocking the bios on a compaq mobo

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mr.SkiZZa

hi all, this is my forst post here at OC i tried to get help at computing.net but they sent me here, i guess you guys know more than they do....ok i have a compaq presario model # 5WV271 which came with a 900mhz athlon, i ran sisoft sandra and it told me the mobo could support higher speeds so i dropped in a 1.4 athlon and it's running at 1053mhz is there anyway to unlock the castrated version of the mobo compaq gives you access to? i want to put the fsb at 133 to take advantage of the bigger cpu and the ram i have is at 133 also if anyone knows a way to do thid that would be great, sorry for the long post but i wanted to explain as best i could. thank you

you can get a software called slick edit pro, and bios hack

you are going to need a rom file to do it though, and it will all be in Hex

you can also access the bios Hex in dos to see what the tables are already like

basically, the slick edit pro lets you create another table to put with it

thanks for the reply trey_w, but what your saying is all greek to me:D i will do some research though to see what a rom pack is and i will look for the slick edit software you mentioned, in my first post i forgot to mention that the mobo has a jumper for switching between 100 and 133mhz but when i switch the jumper to 133 the comp won't boot into windows it just hangs up at the splash screen, anyone have a clue cuz i don't:eek:

If you have the jumpers on the mobo, then there's no need for Slick Pro most likely. It sounds like WIndows doesn't like something ... Try a clean install of Windows and see if it works. I don't know anything about Compaq's, but if the computer boots up and the POST screen says your CPU is running at 1.4 GHz, then it must be a Windows problem ... I think.

The FSB is running at 100mhz and you probably have a 1.4/266 Athlon (you're getting about 3/4 speed, 1.05). Is that Presario model capable of 133 FSB? Probably not, but I can't find the Presario model number you listed on Compaq's website.

You probably need an Athlon 1.4/200.

Last edited:
Back