• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Moble Pentium 4 or Moble celeron??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dusnoetos

I am trying to decide witch CPU will give me the best overall performance.
This is for a Dell Inspiron 1000 laptop (with a measly 256MB ram.....for now)

Does the 200Mhz faster clock speed of the Celeron beat out the larger L2 cache of the P4?

Capture 1.PNG

i say go for the pentium 4. i dont see the point in getting a celeron. they run hot and are mostly at 100% on the cpu usage.

P4, because SpeedStep (though I didn't think those old Celerons were totally lacking power management...) Also, single-core and Netburst... the cache is definitely going to get you more bang than a few MHz.

Well I went ahead and swapped in the P4. But it only runs at 1200Mhz Not at full speed. I even updated the Bios to the latest one... no change.. open to advice on what to do.

Put it under a heavy load and recheck, the P4M downclocked (and overclocked) heavily in response to load.

I have done that, Bobnova. it only seems to fluctuate a few Mhz. I wonder if the Dell Inspiron 1000 laptop has "hidden" bios adjustments??

Well I went ahead and swapped in the P4. But it only runs at 1200Mhz Not at full speed. I even updated the Bios to the latest one... no change.. open to advice on what to do.

Sounds like it's running the FSB at 233MHz, instead of 400MHz.

Any thoughts on how to change it?

Try SetFSB. Or, look for a modded BIOS. Google suggests some (perhaps all) official BIOS for that laptop have SpeedStep support disabled, but I would think that would lock the CPU at full speed, rather than slightly over half speed :shrug: If you do go looking for BIOS mods, know that "SLIC" mods are NOT what you want. SLIC mods are basically warez enablers.

Back