• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is it worth the upgrade?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Nope. Not in the least IMO. I mean its not going to magically gain you another 400Mhz so, not sure the point personally.

@ bamato in general principle I agree with what has been repleid to you. There is a "but" in there though because I know some real people who upgraded from the EVO and the PRO version of that motherboard to the Sabertooth 990FX and the CHV and both were then able *with* good cooling to overclock their FX processors beyond their previous 4.6Ghz-ish to over 5.0Ghz for benching. They were unable to do such with their original EVO and PRO version boards. If I remember correctly they were able to move their 24/7 clock upward a couple of 100Mhz as well and remain stable. Been awhile since they all upgraded so I don't remember the complete background.

But the *but* is that if you have very good water-cooling, then the CHV would then allow more cpu speed with stability. With just air cooling, I doubt you would notice a great difference as has been said already.
RGone...

I was one of dem guys. And Rgone is correct in his summation. The board alone won't allow that much more of an OC unless combined with some very good cooling! If you notice my M5A migrated to the PII 965

I think the high points for me were more PWM fan headers, color scheme, and slot configuration. I also had read somewhere that people had lower board/socket temps with the improved voltage regulation (forgive me if that makes no sense).

I also had read somewhere that people had lower board/socket temps with the improved voltage regulation (forgive me if that makes no sense).

Makes perfectly good sense and believe it is accurate as well. Greater number of VRM phases supplying the cpu should allow for better effeciency and lesser heat.
RGone...

Will my current mobo struggle to OC an FX-8350?

Cooling: Phanteks PH-TC14PEOS << with that cooling you will struggle to "really" overclock an 8 core no matter what. Some overclock? Sure. Much more than 4.4/5Ghz? Likely not. No matter the mobo. That is what is generally been happening with most users. It takes good water to really clock an 8 core FX.
RGone...

Last edited:
Back