• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ximatek NRP-503 failure.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jmdixon85

Decided to run a burn-in test on my secondary system in my sig....

Used prime to load-up the CPU and Furmark for the GPU.

Needless to say lass than a minute in I had a great firework display from the rear of the computer and a very loud pop!!!

The Xigmatek PSU had failed! http://www.xigmatek.com/product.php?productid=41&type=specification

I'm pretty sure the PSU should have handled the system with a little headroom left? Or am I wrong? :confused:

Your thoughts..........

oh, the Q6600 is at 3.2Ghz @ 1.4Vcore.

PSU Specs:

Max/MinRegulation *1Ripple & Noise *2Output+5V16.0A/0.3A+5, -5%50mV130W+3.3V 22.0A/0.5A+5, -5%50mV+12V1
15.0A/1.0A+5, -5%120mV180W+12V2 16.0A/1.0A+5, -5%120mV192W-12V 0.8A/0.0A+10, -10%120mV9.6W+5Vsb 2.5A/0.0A+5, -5%50mV12.5WTotal Power 500W

Considering a stock Q6600 and GTX295 can pull 395W by themselves, I don't think there was headroom.

Considering a stock Q6600 and GTX295 can pull 395W by themselves, I don't think there was headroom.

oh, seems I may have under estimated my power requirements then :bang head

I would have thought the PSU would have just shut down instead of exploding though :confused: :mad: its not exactly an old PSU either, only bought it new a few month ago...

It should have OCP, but that can only kick in so fast.

The GTX 295 is like running SLI. It has two GPUs pulling power. You'll be looking 650W PSU at a minimum with that setup and OC.

It should have OCP, but that can only kick in so fast.

The GTX 295 is like running SLI. It has two GPUs pulling power. You'll be looking 650W PSU at a minimum with that setup and OC.

Yeah I wish I realised that first lol, been doing some looking up and that GTX295 is one hungry (but old) beast of a card.

I actually ran the same PSU in my main rig until I came across a 790Watt PSU for cheap. It actually ran that system with no problems at all. Including a burn-in test. Just goes to show how the performance to power consumption ratio is improving with the tech.

Yeah, your main rig is much more power efficient, even with the 4.8GHz OC. Looking at ~300W from the CPU and GPU combined, including the OC.

That, compared to the Q6600, which pulls 105W by itself, and (if my math is correct) up to ~195W with the OC. Not to mention the 295W GPU.

Luckily it didn't seem to kill anything, Using an Antec earthwatts 500W in the system now and its working ok, Cant run the GTX295 as the Antec lacks an 8-pin PCIE connector.

they make 2$ adapters from molex

I don't think my Dad would like the idea of me blowing up his PSU too lol. Replaced the GTX295 with a Radeon 3870 for now until I can get another PSU.

I will be buying a new one for my main rig and using the old one for this secondary system.

It's a 790watt FSP unit that has a rather strange problem. When the electric goes off (as it does often) the PSU won't start up again unless you flick the power switch on the PSU itself off and back on. Hence why I am just going to replace that one.

It's a 790watt FSP unit that has a rather strange problem. When the electric goes off (as it does often) the PSU won't start up again unless you flick the power switch on the PSU itself off and back on.

Sounds like my 2003 Antec True 430 after a power outage. I must discharge it before the board gets power.

Back