• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Noob Builder's First Build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Montclaire

Registered
Hey guys as you can tell from the name of this thread im really wet behind the ears on this subject.

My co-worker really got me back into this, i originally wanted to go to school for hardware and and that goodness but i digress.

I want to build a PC for gaming and i kind of know what i want and what i want to play but i need help

Im looking at the i5-4670k
with a corsair H100i
paired with an asus z87 sabertooth as the core of my build.

as far as memory and storage im not sure where to start.

but i know for graphics im looking at a gtx 780
or a comparable non reference card.

and i want to stuff all of this preferably in a cm storm case not sure which one yet though.

I was wondering if you guys could help me out. Based on information ive gathered i want to build a well rounded system so i can upgrade when needed.

So my price point is around $2,000 or less if possible. So this build will be in progress for quite sometime and i dont want to wind up buying something that i have had in mind only to find that its obsolete...

Much Appreciated

=Mont

Hey, welcome to OCF! :beer:

When trying to recommend a build to you, there's some information that's extremely helpful for us to know. If you could answer these few short questions, we'd be happy to help!

• What are you planning to do with this computer? Please be as specific as possible.
  • What is your budget (in your own currency)?
    1. Does this include a copy of Windows?
    2. Does this include peripherals (a keyboard, monitor, mouse, speakers, etc.)?
  • Are you from the United States or a different country? Are you ordering from your own country or from across borders?
    1. Wherever you may be from, does the store that you are planning to order from have a website? It's okay if it isn't in English, we can manage.
    2. If you are from the United States, do you live nearby a Microcenter?

Once again, thank you in advance for taking the time to answer these, and I hope you enjoy your stay at OCF! :)

Thank you for the warm welcome i appreciate it and im sure i will enjoy my time here, this community is so helpful :D

Yes i do live in the U.S. and i think there is a Microcenter about an hour or so from me.

I plan on using this Build for gaming and recording music.

the price i set for the build i don't think includes the OS or peripherals although i would like it too. I'm basing the build off of a video i watched but if i could save a few dollars here or there that would be nice but not essential since i heard that its better to buy what you need when you need it instead of skimping.

Which Microcenter?

Any special requirements in terms of ports and such for connecting your recording equipment?

Would you say you would prioritize picture quality or absolute smoothness?

I live in nj. So the one in edison.

The recording device i have uses USB so front or back usb ports are fine.

Smoothness in what sense? Overall system smoothness? Or graphical?

Gaming. That's where it matters. If you want 1080p+ gaming, top games and lots of top graphics then the GPU can easily add $200+ to a system that would be perfectly fine without magic smooth........

You go with a 780, your smoothness is solved. You don't 'need a H100i' unless you plan to overclock, and still it's barely better than the best air heatsinks. Air heatsinks don't break. Honestly, if you buy a 4670k and get a $40 quality air cooler for the CPU, you won't need the H100i. You won't need to overclock for gaming for a few years. YEARS on the CPU, GPU maybe in TWO years.

Don't know if you know, but these AIO WC units have a pretty high failure rate. That's why they are cheap. Forgo the AIO watercooling for now. Build the system, get a case that can do watercooling and move on.

$2000? Should be easy to do a 4670k, good mobo, 780, 120/256 GB SSD, 1 TB HD, and the case, PSU. You say you need W7, that's basically $100.

If you were to spend 3-6 hours over a few days reading posts JUST LIKE YOURS here, you could easily LEARN a ton and not be clueless. And have a good idea why we say xx, you understand xx................

The smoothness question was foe the monitor actually. Basically your two options are a monitor that has NVIDIA Lightboost tech that eliminates motion blur in games. Thing is that they're average in terms of picture quality. Other option is a 2560x1440 IPS monitor from eBay. The higher resolution gives you more working screen space and makes games look sharper, and the IPS/PLS panel has better color reproduction than the standard TN panel in most monitors.

Ahh, a new twist. Didn't think of that. My ASUS 27" has lightboost, but only active when I use the supplied V2 NVIDIA 3D glasses. It increases the screen brightness since you kinda only get 1/2 the light due to the 3D glasses. Is that what you're referring to? It's a 120 MHz screen for 3D.

Ok so ill drop the corsair cooler and go air cooled instead

what about the be quiet black rock pro c1?

I think that second option for the Monitor is what ill go with.

Do you mind listing products? I want to create a list so i have an idea of what i need to buy and just cross them off as i purchase them.

Now due to the fact that this build will be spanned out over maybe something as 3-6 months going to be a problem?

And when it comes time to purchase what should i go with first?
CPU and MOBO?

Start with reading the last 50 posts here asking the same exact question we see every week for the last 6 years. You'll learn a ton and maybe able to make your own decision...........And learn something too.

In a week you'll know enuff. CYA then!

Are you in a rush or just need a quick answer due to getting married or off to war? Otherwise what is the hurry? And not my hurry. As other helpful members here. It's a hobby. Slowwwww down.

Im not in a rush. As i stated before i want to know what i need to buy so i can start somewhere.

I literally know nothing about doing this. And im trying to get help from people who do.

I appreciate your help but the last post you interjected with a comment on some of your own gear and asked if this is what he was talking about with 3D monitors and i clearly said after that i would rather use an IPS/PLS monitor.

Im not asking to have my hand held throughout this build i just need a starting point and advice on hardware.

im looking to buy my first component in the coming weeks.

Ok so ill drop the corsair cooler and go air cooled instead

what about the be quiet black rock pro c1?

Maybe read deeply into our Air Cooling forum and read the MANY reviews of air cooler heatsinks on the HOME page. Upper left hand corner of the forums.

Become informed.

I think that second option for the Monitor is what ill go with.

Do you mind listing products? I want to create a list so i have an idea of what i need to buy and just cross them off as i purchase them.

Now due to the fact that this build will be spanned out over maybe something as 3-6 months going to be a problem?

And when it comes time to purchase what should i go with first?
CPU and MOBO?

Ok i understand where your coming from.

I went ahead and made a shopping cart of components can someone give it a look through?

CPU:Intel Core i5-4670K Haswell 3.4GHz LGA 1150 84W

GPU:ASUS GTX780-3GD5 GeForce GTX 780 3GB 384-bit

MOBO: ASUS SABERTOOTH Z87

PSU: Seasonic 660W, 80 PLUS PLATINUM Full Modular

Storage: Western Digital WD Green 2TB 64MB Cache

SSD:SAMSUNG 840 2.5" 120GB

Fan/Heatsink:Noctua NH-D14 120mm & 140mm SSO CPU Cooler

Case:CM Storm Scout 2

RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600

Looks fine i would spend less on the mb and get the 840pro vs the reg.

Only prob withbuying over time is new stuff comes out. There will be new mbs out soon that fixs the usb sleep problem.

But over all your build looks solid

Looks fine i would spend less on the mb and get the 840pro vs the reg.

Only prob withbuying over time is new stuff comes out. There will be new mbs out soon that fixs the usb sleep problem.

But over all your build looks solid

Thanks man.

What's the 840pro? And the USB sleep issue?

Well I like the saber tooth because of the thermal temp zone monitors I plan on kepping this build until I can't push it any harder.

Thanks man.

Well I like the saber tooth because of the thermal temp zone monitors I plan on kepping this build until I can't push it any harder.

840pro is the better version of Samsung SSDs. They usually have 8 more GBs and more importantly, are more reliable.

Oooh I see my bad haha I thought were talking about the mobo having USB sleep issues haha

Thanks man.

"Thermal Temp Zone Monitors" Hook line and sinker. Looks like a marketer has you so deeply hooked that he'll make his boat payment this month.

I'd drop the PSU to a Seasonic G-550 Gold. It's more than enough for this build. The armour marketing gimmick on the sabertooth looks to have hooked another person sadly =(. It's frankly worth crap. A Asus Z87-A is all you need. But I understand your case has a window; consider the MSI Z87 GD-45 then if you care about looks. Plenty of juice and features at a lower price point. It'll do you fine. (And if you get the Direct CU II model of the 780, it'll work perfectly colour wise, though the Noctua cooler might throw off the colour scheme a little... Haha)

With the money saved consider the Samsung 840 250GB model or even the 256GB pro model? I found a 128GB SSD to be a little too small personally. So now I happily run the 256GB Pro model and am quite happy with it.

Back