• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DirectX 11.2 !

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bluezero5

Winner, Rig-o'-the-Quarter, Fourth Quarter 2012
so does any current GPU actually supports it?

nvidia admit that 700 series won't support it a while ago
and just yesterday, AMD said 7000 series card actually ALSO doesn't support it.

so.... what the hell Microsoft, stop spamming DirectX versions??? :shock:

while normal.
seems to be happening in much higher frequency now, dont you agree?

Can't say I follow the release of API's closely enough to make an accurate assessment of that question. That said, its not like games will be using it out of the gate either so, to me, its not a big deal at all. :)

DirectX 9.0 4.09.00.0900 (RC4) December 19, 2002
DirectX 10 6.00.6000.16386 Windows Vista exclusive November 30, 2006
DirectX 10.1 6.00.6001.18000 Windows Vista SP1, Windows Server 2008
DirectX 11 6.01.7600.16385 Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 R2 October 22, 2009
DirectX 11.1 6.02.9200.16384 Windows 8, Windows RT, Windows Server 2012 August 1, 2012
DirectX 11.2 Windows 8.1, Windows RT, Windows Server 2012 R2, November 2012

so yeah, it has been getting aggressively more 'frequent' since 2011.
Directx9 lasted 4 yrs
Directx10 lasted 2
Directx10.1 lasted 1

Directx 11 lasted 3yrs (which is what everyone is use to.)
Directx 11.1 lasted for 6mths
Directx 11.2 probably for most 1 yrs

then Directx 12 will come in late 2015. (rumors)
just earlier this year, AMD came out and said there will NEVER be an Dx12
but Microsoft basically came out and said AMD's statement is BS.
http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/news/amd-roy-taylor-directx12/

If you ask me, which you hadn't.
but I will answer anyway. the best time for MS to launch Directx12 will be on the 'NEXT' gen of Consoles. XBOXtwo ?
there are lots of specs about what changes they really need from Directx11, and the answer is 3D.
Most people are calling 3D pointless now, but that's what people said about 3D in movies some 3 years ago.
people have a tendency to blast down new tech disregarding the trend. 3D gaming is COMING, and if you want an early piece, Nvidia 3D vision is a good start.
This is an area AMD need to catch up as well.

Last edited:
Where's the article that says it won't be supported by GTX 7xx hardware? I actually heard the opposite on a video demonstration of 11.2 -- saying it would work on 7xx hardware. Now you've got me worried.

Directx 11.2 is a driver change I believe not a hardware change. Any card that supports 11.1 is supposed to be fine with 11.2.

Edit: An example source: http://www.maximumpc.com/driver_update_will_add_directx_112_support_amd_radeon_hd_7000_series_gpus

Another quote from tomshardware: "It appears, according to an engineer from AMD, Laylah Mah, that the problem isn't actually specific to the hardware. Laylah said that adjustments to the drivers could add support for the DirectX 11.2. Sadly, she didn't indicate whether such a driver was scheduled. (Laylah was interviewed by the German magazine C'T.)"

So maybe not any card? Not sure. Time will tell. Directx 11.2 hasn't been fully launched yet. Most cards even today don't fully support everything from directx 11.1.

Last edited:
Apparently according to Amd it could be supported via some drivers, but at this time there aren't plans to put the work into adding it when nothing can use it in the first place.

AMD says it will support it with a driver release around Win8.1 launch time of October.

The questions remains: Why? Win8 has pretty much no market share and I don't see it increasing anytime soon, so why bother.

Apparently according to Amd it could be supported via some drivers, but at this time there aren't plans to put the work into adding it when nothing can use it in the first place.

Also looking at the specs for 11.2 I question whether it's really needed at this point in time. As an example I can't remember the last time I opened the start screen and thought to myself: "I wish this rendered quicker or nicer..." I would not buy a card simply for 11.2 until there was a demonstrated reason for it.

Don't forget directx is an api for developers to use. Unless a program makes use of the additional functionality it does nothing. Almost all games, etc these days also fall back to the lowest common denominator. I couldn't name a game that even REQUIRES 11.1. I believe Crysis 3 requires directx 11 but many games are still console ports and therefore directx 9.

Directx 11.2, if it does what they say it will do, could be huge for gamers. I'm speaking primarily about the support to use system memory for VRAM. Video card prices will get cheaper for us as we won't need 2gb+ anymore - vid card companies can save money that was otherwise spend on dedicated memory and put it to something else.

dostov - win8 has a bigger market share than you might think. The gamers here are but a small part of the overall windows population. The average user who buys a new computer every 3 years or so will all be getting windows 8. If the next gen games really DO have uncompressed textures that can utilize huge amounts of memory, then I'll be jumping on windows 8.2 (IF DX11.2 turns out to perform like they say it should - we won't know if the utilization of system memory will even be fast enough to not start imposing some memory speed bottleneck.)

Us gamers already complain that there isn't much use out there for the 16gb or 32gb of memory that we have. If the video cards can pull from that and we get some games that can use it, it's going to be awesome. Definitely cool enough to make me jump to windows 8, that's for sure. I've been using win8 on my laptop since release and actually don't hate it that much - took awhile to get used to but now it's not so bad to be honest.

Anyway, I definitely hope gtx 7xx cards are supported. I mean they ran the stinkin' DX11.2 demo on a GTX770 so it better be!

Don't forget directx is an api for developers to use. Unless a program makes use of the additional functionality it does nothing. Almost all games, etc these days also fall back to the lowest common denominator. I couldn't name a game that even REQUIRES 11.1. I believe Crysis 3 requires directx 11 but many games are still console ports and therefore directx 9.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_games_with_DirectX_11_support

The only game on that list that uses 11.1 is Star Trek Online, but there's quite a few that Use DX11, probably one the most popular being BF3.

My point was that almost none REQUIRE it. Looking down the list you'll see that most of them support a previous version as well. It looks as though there are a bunch of upcoming game that will which is interesting.

This is correct. For the longest time, the only game that required DX11 was Crysis 3. Heck I didn't even know THAT game had that requirement until I tried to load it up on my old GTX295 and got a hardware support error. I was like wuuuut... what game REQUIRES DX11?! What's up with THAT? lol

Unfortunately often most games are created under directx 9 and then the higher support is simply better filters used, etc. Many games the difference is very small - things like water look better. I have higher hopes for games designed for directx 11.

Back