• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

pentium 2 died?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

(G{in}[AK)TION]

so i have two pentium 2 processors, 1 pentium 3 processor, and a slotkett.

tonight i was working on getting the windows 98 system working with the 350mhz p2. but i got allot of errors along the way. sometimes it even froze. so i tried swapping with the 233mhz p2 to see if that would work. nope, three beeps or something. so i put the pentium 3 processor in (450mhz) and it works just fine.

i have yet to try with the slotket (celeron 500)

has this happened before with pentium 2 processors in the past? like dieing and having to buy another one or send it back for warranty?

I'm sorry, we don't carry that product currently. Could I interest you in a Pentium G2020 instead?

First, you'll need to get on chat support with Intel, and set up an RMA. And then post the chat log here :D

:rofl: you smart aleck!

anyway, the caps looks ok. it seems like it was the multiplier switch. i had to match it with the processor or it would act weird. so if i put in a pentium 2 350mhz, i would have to set it to 3.5. if i put in the pentium 3 450mhz, i would have to set it to 4.5.

II would seriously try to attempt an RMA with Intel if you have the original CPU box, etc. lol I doubt it. Who knows, they might be sympathetic and do something for you...

i bought the pentium 2 350mhz processor back in 2011 for 7 dollars at some computer store. they were going to charge me 13 dollars for both heatsink and processor but i told them that i already had one. so they were like "you know what, keep the heatsink for free. just pay us 7 dollars" AND IT WAS SO.

-anyway-

i was able to try overclocking one of the pentium 2 processors i have but it only goes from 266 (Default) to 300. after that, the board makes it look like its dead by beeping out "no cpu"...or something.

this is weird. out of all the computer issues i dealt with here, this board dosent change the cpu speed at all if the multiplier has been changed. even if i set it to 3 on the dip switch, that board will view the pentium 3's speed at 450mhz.

since this is old hardware thats (with high chances of) being too old to discuss, ill let it be. dont want to get into trouble or anything. :(

Thats how I clocked my P1 200mmx flip the dip switch and it was a 233 =) (wow I guess that makes 15 years of overclocking )

wait is it really called a dip switch? its that blue thing with switches on it. i think its called a switch block. sorry for sounding so newb about old technology :b

beeping out "no cpu"...or something.

Probably RAM stick got bumped or DRAM OC'ed too much. Bleeping is usually DRAM. I never even heard of a board bleeping because of a dead core.
I dunno if it could be the L2 cache or not.....

And I never even seen a board where you can possibly adjust async L2 cache, which Katmai and earlier have.

Last edited:
Yup, that's a DIP switch. It stands for Dual Inline Package, two rows of pins.

Back