• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is it a bad ideal to burn faster than what a BD-R is rated at ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Wolf11

I have the pioneer BDR-208DBK 15x capable on BDR's. I'm using discs Verbatim 25GB 6X BD-R model 97457. These disc are rated at 6X. I have a lot of data to burn/store and was wondering if when using IMGburn to burn these files mostly large rar files to disc is it ok to let IMGburn to burn as fast as it wants ? I tried once and I think at the highest speed it burned like at 10x.

I wanted to know if it's a bad ideal to burn higher speed than the disc is rated at and is there more chance of a bad burn when burning faster by a lot ? I'll be storing these discs away for probably for 2-3 years.

Second question:

I installed my new Seagate 2TB 7200.14 upside in my tower, it makes no diff right ?

It's only inadvisable in that you're likely to end up with more coasters, and Bluray discs are more expensive than DVD or CD. It's not going to damage your drive, nor will it damage the disc, as long as the burn is successful. It'll be slow and annoying as hell with optical discs, but as with any backup, verify its integrity before storing it.

Last edited:
As long as you use what most programs called verify you're ok. As petteyg said though expect more coasters.

I have BDR-208DBK and using Verbatim 25GB 6X BD-R model 97457 discs and burning at 10x seems like it's more smother of a burn seems to be less slows downs and speed ups and maybe less noisy. Is that due to the burner just not like burning at 8X, but at 6x and 10x for some reason is smoother, is this normal and why ?

You are far better forcing the drive to burn the disc at the 6x rated speed. If you burn the discs over their rated speed you may end up with unreadable discs. And I dont mean just on the drive you are using to burn. It may read them just fine at 10x burn. BUT if this is important data you may not be able to read the discs after a couple years and/or on another drive. In the interest of burning a very reliable back up my 2 cents is burn at the rated speed of the media you are using. Your back up should then be able to be read by any other drive in the future.

Z

It may read them just fine at 10x burn. BUT if this is important data you may not be able to read the discs after a couple years
A coaster is a coaster. If the burn is successful, it's successful. Burn speed may affect dye degradation through heat output, but that's hardly significant, since it's not long term, and even a slow speed produces plenty of heat.
and/or on another drive.
While timings and laser positioning are not precise standards, that will be true of any drive and any media regardless of burn speed. It's bad enough just trying to read the exact same audio data out of a pressed CD on different drives.

Back