• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

USB3.0 Ports Not Working

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dostov

Overclockers.com Reporter
For the first time ever I have a USB 3.0 compatible device. It is a WD external hard drive. I tried to connect it to the USB 3.0 ports on the back panel of my MSI FM2-A75MA-E35 but the drive isn't recognized. It works flawlessly on USB 2.0 ports though.

Is there an additional driver I have to install for USB 3.0 or BIOS settings maybe?

Additional system specs:

FM2-A75MA-E35 motheboard
AMD A8-5600K APU
2x4GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 1866Mhz
Windows 7 64-bit

Yeah, check that the drivers are installed, they are separate.
Typically there is a setting for USB3.0 controllers, but they are enabled by default.

Okay guys, my bad. The drivers are in the AMD Chipset Driver package as they should (not the ATI system drivers), I had just not installed the USB 3.0 drivers (I don't know why, I had to uncheck the selection box).

Everything works fine now. :)

Okay guys, my bad. The drivers are in the AMD Chipset Driver package as they should (not the ATI system drivers), I had just not installed the USB 3.0 drivers (I don't know why, I had to uncheck the selection box).

Everything works fine now. :)

Knew it one of those two, glad you got it working :thup:

It doesn't make a difference for transferring data from an external 2.5" hard drive, though. USB 2.0 is still much faster than a HDD.

Still, good to know everything is working as it should. :)

it's still seeing it as usb 2.0?

you might try booting with it plugged into a usb 3.0 port.

it's still seeing it as usb 2.0?

you might try booting with it plugged into a usb 3.0 port.

No, it's working fine as USB 3.0 now. I was saying that my external 2.5" HDD doesn't take advantage of USB 3.0 speeds though, sustained transfers are in the 30MB/s range.

Back