• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is it time to try the FX-8320?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hr.Soegaard

Hi guys..

As you can see in my signature I have a fx-6300 which is 4.6 stable. FX-8320 has decreased 220 Danish kroner so it's pretty cheap now. Is 8xxx as easy to overclock and am I realistic in the light could reach 4.6 Ghz with a 8320? I play some bf3 online and it is very cpu intensive, I could win some fps here?
Thinking 6 vs 8 core and bf3 and the new BF 4 will support the 4 core +.

/Soegaard

Cool, i just need some feedback on this, and its okay if im totally crasy, then i blow it off and waint. ;) Thx.

if you want to go for it. but you aren't going to get 4.6 on the h80i. i have a 8350 with a h100i push pull and i can get 4.7-8 but i get 4.6 at your current temps

Just 1 more consideration is the Mobo it will run the 8350, But from personal experience I had heat problems with the VRM, 4.5 was as high as I could go with it.
Like previously said it won't help your games either.

Just 1 more consideration is the Mobo it will run the 8350, But from personal experience I had heat problems with the VRM, 4.5 was as high as I could go with it.
Like previously said it won't help your games either.
This ^^^^ You may even lose performance because you may not be able to clock the 8xxx as high as the 6xxx series.

Okay, I see i just have to stay with my fx-6300, it runs also very well right now, but i need my hardware fix and buy somthing. ;) hehe..

maybe i should go for a better psu or a gtx760 more..

You could double up the GFX and improve your gaming. I know the feeling when you just need fix. Tiger has a special on the FX-6350 at my local store and I am going into the city today already.....never know what I'll come home with since I'm on my own. :clap:

Ha Ha Johan45, glad its not just me who need the fix. Yesterday i got my new OCZ vector ssd, but just need one more thing..

6350, well, can it hit 5ghz? ;)

bf3 is so cpu intensive so another gfx in 1080p is maybe overkill. ;)

Ha Ha Johan45, glad its not just me who need the fix. Yesterday i got my new OCZ vector ssd, but just need one more thing..

6350, well, can it hit 5ghz? ;)

bf3 is so cpu intensive so another gfx in 1080p is maybe overkill. ;)

Ya maybe I haven't played that title. As for the 5.0 don't know but I'll try!! That's ironic cause they have the Samsung 120G on for $85 too.

Take them both. ;)

I can maybe push the fsb 5 more to hit 4.7, but it runs so well now.
The 6350 godt a nice default speed. ;)

My 6300 @ 4.6 Ghz idles at 22-23c and under load it might hit 55c with a H60 with a push/pull set up exhausting out of the top closest to the front of my case. I thought the H80i was a better cooler. Could be the location in the case.

I know how the itch feels to wanna upgrade. I think your setup is fine the way it is. For now........

Just check the bot and highest clock is on water at 5.86. Shaould be interesting I have some more parts to collect for my water so maybe I'll come close?? Got my 380a block this week!

I'm actually grabbing a 8320 today. The egg has them for $15 off making them only $5 more than the 6350. Toooo good to pass up. Finally making the move from the x4 955. Going to miss that chip. :cry:

There is a reason they puy a certain cpu on sale. They are not selling well. Most of us were accustomed to buying a cheaper cpu and overclocking to the level of the more expensive cpu. However when the FX PileDrivers hit the market almost a year ago they seemed to have brought a new twist with AMD's binning. Binning that now seems able to allow AMD to come with a FX-9590 cpu. The lesser cpus like the FX-8320 in general do not overclock as far as the real FX-8350 did.

However if one actually needed 8 cores for real work and not just gaming, then most cooling systems will limit the overclock of even an FX-8320, so it might be a good deal for those types of people.

It takes a tremendous amount of reading to keep up with what seem the trends of this high current draw and high heat output monsters that AMD calls the FX processor. Heck there are a few FX 8 core users that now are disabling cores to facilitate higher clocks with lesser cores for gaming.

The lesser IPC that AMD has with the FX series is only helped by high clocks for gaming. In many instances the disabling of cores helps reach the higher clocks because of less heat to contend with. Sometimes less is more. Just thinking out loud based on hours and hours of crossing the net.

keep the 6300 for gamming and spend the money on a video card, my 6300 games just fine without the excess heat of my 8 core.
it seems that after 4 cores more is just less.
the fx processor needs to be clocked high to perform well, so 8 cores can lower the gamming fun because most if not all games can only make use of 2 or four cores anyway.

Back