• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrade advice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DP&MH

Hey guys I'm in dire need of upgrading my PC at the moment so I've been doing lots of research on components. I do a fair bit of gaming but primarily video editing so my system at the moment sucks. I might as well have a shave again by the time it finishes rendering anything and I run most game with graphics set on the lowest settings. However rather than replacing everything I'm wanting to get a new motherboard so I can also move to a new Intel CPU and also new GPU and aftermarket cooling. I'm thinking my current power supply with be enough but let me know if I'm worng. I'm also a little confused when it comes to motherboards scene as a lot only seem to differ in price. By any chance would any recommendations spring to mind for these components within the £400 ($620) range?

Right now I'm running:

CPU - AMD athlon II X2 245 dual core 2.9ghz
GPU - NVIDIA geforce GTS 250
MOBO - Gigabyte GA-MA770-UD3
Corsair 8GB DDR2 RAM
Corsair 650W power supply
2 x 500g Seagate HD

Your psu should be fine. But if your ram is ddr2 you'll need new ram. New motherboard and a new cpu. Do you plan to overclock at all? And where do you plan to buy your parts from?

Asrock Extreme 4 £109.99
i7 3770k £229.00
G skill Ripjaw 8GB DDR3 £54.98

Total = £393.97

Just short of £400. The 4770k is newer and a little faster; but a good £40 more on amazon (Not sure if you could get it cheaper) and the boards cost a bit more too.. So I saw this as a decent pick; i7 for rendering purposes. I'd add another 8GB of RAM later when you've got spare cash, then upgrade the graphics card. The RAM should help with your video editing (depending on the program you're using).

Btw this upgrade assumes you want to OC. If you have zero plans to Overclock; then I'd swap to a B85/H87 board and a non-K 4770. (Should roughly work out to be the same price)

Sweet thanks!

Yeah figured the RAM would have to be replaced, missed it out of my orig post. My budget isn't 100% concrete so there will probably be some room for a little flex. I was planning on getting the parts pretty much where they are cheapest, most likely Amazon. As far as OC goes I really haven't thought about it that much, but I suppose I would prefer the option to yeah :)

Last edited:
If I can push my budget a little...

i7 4770K and AsRock z87 extreme4 sound good? Also on a side note I'm looking at the GTX 760's for my gpu

Yes, very good.

Edit: gpu wise, you need to know if the softwares you use for video editing, rendering are amd or nvidia friendly, or both. As an example, adobe cs6 makes a good use of both, but gpu acceleration supports nvidia only on the previous versions (5.5 and earlier).

Last edited:
Back