• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MSi 990xa-gd55

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sargeslaighter

My mobo isn't letting me OC MY fx 6300. OC genie brings it to 3.94 but when I turn to doing it myself I bring it up but when I reboot it drops to stock 3.5. I'm not going very high either, 4.2 max but settings don't seem to stick. Any ideas?

The tale?
Well I have cool and quiet and all that others stuff off then when I try to bring up the multiplier and save it goes to stock or when I change the voltage it turns on but I don't even get into post so I have to reset CMOS jumper

The tale is that those boards just don't take well to being pushed in an overclock.

Enabled HPC mode which is High Performance Computer-ing. I don't have one of those boards and we have only seen 11 MSI boards in the AMD CPU and this AMD mobo section in the last 2 years. 7 of that 11 were just in the last 3 mos or so and yours makes the 12th user have seen. But as I g00gled that board it seems HPC must be enabled to allow many of manual settings for overclock. And the more I think about it, I believe I read on user last year with similar MSI board say that HE had to enable HPC, then make one change, then save and exit bios and come back in and enable HPC again and make another change. Don't know if that held true on many boards or not or if later bioses fixed the issue.

The later bioses for that board that say they are for Win 8 do not allow for much Vcore but they say after flashing to the later Win 8 bios...you cannot flash back to earlier bios. Bios 22.5 was suggested as the last bios to use especially if wanted or needed some hefty Vcore.

They talk about those boards to some extent in the MSI forums but none seem really pleased. I was g00gling at times on the MSI AMD boards and most of the stuff about their issues is pretty much hashed to death over there in the company forums. Not sure if any engineers come by anymore or not. Seems they have not been by or in for a while.
RGone...

Back