• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrade time

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

eXiale

Registered
Hello fellas,

I have been looking around, searched for bech results etc etc.. and i can not decide what cpu i should choose to upgrade my rig.
I have even started to doubt between AMD or INTEL.

FX 8150/8350 looks nice but Intel... is bit better.

AMD comes closer to my budget, that why i'm doubting.

so posting it here to maybe get some wise advice.

thnx

What's the budget and where are you buying from? If your current sig rig is what you're running. I'd stick with upgrading to Intel... Your current i7 is frankly still relevant anyway.

What purpose you after? Gaming? Rendering? Or?

Sig=what i'm running atm
Budget about $350 (from the cheapest supplier around/depends on price//maybe newegg.com)

Purpose : #1 Gaming. #2 Photoshop/video etc.

Atm pc is running smooth, except for games and video editing progs.

Resont upgrade is : you pay about the same for video card as for upgrade kit.

What would you advise me?
Buy a new card and stick with this rig for a while?

I would grab a GTX 760, and then save for a cpu/mobo later.

OK thnx, Buying better card now, that can be used later with better mobo/cpu.

One more Q.

What about ports, a PCIe 3.0 x16 card will work in PCIe 2.0 x16 motherboard slot?
I know that cards don't use PCIe 2.0 x16 to its highest capacity. so just wondering if there will be any performance drop?

What about ports, a PCIe 3.0 x16 card will work in PCIe 2.0 x16 motherboard slot?

Fully backwards compatible. Nothing noticeable with a single card.

Edit: Apparently I opened this thread in a new tab and it took me 10 minutes to reply. Xeon_KI beat me to it. I'll leave the reply in anyway as confirmation.

Witch card is better with boost tech or without? (or witch one is better)

XFX HD7950 Double Dissipation BLACK (FX-795A-TDBC)
SAPPHIRE HD 7950 Vapor-X OC (11196-09-40G)
Club 3D Radeon HD 7950 Royal King

Last edited:
Hi, just wanted to give one bit of help. Don't buy the AMD FX-8100 line. Those CPU's are terrible, at least from a gaming perspective. If you have to, pick up a 8350, but I'd go Intel. I just picked up my 4670k and its amazing.

Back