• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking & Voltage

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kemosabe89

Im back again and in need of some help. Working on doing a very slight overclock. First question as its my first AMD build does it look good so far with what i have done? Is it bad to have clocks that arnt solid to the nearest 500mhz? I mean is it ok that its currently at 3.870ghz? or is that really bad? And my Current volts are sitting at 1.20v and im working to get it lower.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    116.3 KB · Views: 161
Last edited:
Next. I am currently working on lowering the voltages but this is where I need help. Ill post examples of the Bios im working with but ill keep getting them lower. Only mjor issue i am having is with the stupid CPU Buss Spee. It is set at 215 and no matter what i do with it or what i change it to. I press F10 to save nd exit and it dosent Hold what i enter. what can i do to Fix this. All i want is to set it to 300mhz and Multiplier to 13 to get a solid 3900 mhz and thats all. I know my MoBo is crappy which is why i dont need anything faster then 3.9 or 4.0. Heres what im working with.

FX 6300
970A-g43 Mobo
550w PSU
Temps in the sub 20c
2 Seagate Barr 2x500gb
Windows 7
2x4gb Patriot viper 3 1866mhz

Anything you can suggest. I will try it after i get off work tomorrow.

Attachments

• 22_MSI_970A-G43.jpg
    22_MSI_970A-G43.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 447
  • 23_MSI_970A-G43.jpg
    23_MSI_970A-G43.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 133
  • 26_MSI_970A-G43.jpg
    26_MSI_970A-G43.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 194
  • 24_MSI_970A-G43.jpg
    24_MSI_970A-G43.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 136
  • 27_MSI_970A-G43.jpg
    27_MSI_970A-G43.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 128
Halt!!!!!!!! Why are you messing with the FSB? There is nothing wrong with overclocking through FSB but you are also overclocking the Ram, Ht link and NB frequency. You have an unlocked multiplier use that, then fine tune with the FSB. Before you do anything, set everything to default settings and run prime 95 blend just to see where your temps are at and how much head room you have. Then start by disabling th epower saving features, cool and quiet, c1e etc... I would then manually set you cpu v to 1.3 and the. bump the multi by .5 and run prime blend 20 minutes. Keep doing this until you have a failure which will be a lost worker, Bsod or hard lockup and or your CPU temp gets to 70 and package temp gets to 62. Once you have a failure back the multi down .5 and then run prime 95 blend 2 hours to check for stability, keeping in mind your temps, 70 on the cpu 60 on the core/package.

Overclocking, isn't just set a number and viola it's overclocked. Your motherboard may not even be able to run the fsb at 300. That is why I'm suggesting. starting slow and using the multiplier. It's a process that takes patience to do correctly

Last edited:
well I can't adjust the FBS at all. I got the multiplier to 18 and fsb at 215. so my clock is 3870. everything ia set to auto. main reason was to lower volts not really to overclock past 4ghz. sadly I failed to poat after I lowered volts to 1.109v. I'm going to have to hold it at 1.25v and a steady 3.87ghz. and I can't find where to disable cool n quiet.

I redirected fire and fixed my Overclocks and turned off some crap in Bios. Im going to call it good at a SOLID 4.0 ghz clock and stable with max settings in intel burn test for 30 min.

First pic is with Multiplier set to 18.5, FBS @200, cool n' quite On, HPM On (high performance mode) cuses throttling to happen.

Second pic is Multiplier set to 19.0, FBS @200, CnQ off, HPM off.

Third Pic is Multiplier set to 20.0, FBS @ 200, CnQ off, HPM off.

After final clock, full reboot and final test, 2 hours of Intel Burn test set on Maximum 6372 MB, with ALl threads 15 runs at 429.09s per test. max CPU temp. 34c lowest, 31c during test. Max CoreV 1.34v

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    108.9 KB · Views: 124
  • Untitled2.png
    Untitled2.png
    105.9 KB · Views: 136
  • Untitled3.png
    Untitled3.png
    152 KB · Views: 125
I'm not a fan of Intel burn test, I find that I can pass it for extended periods of times and still have issues with stability. Though if the Pc is stable for what it's used for then it's stable. :thup:

I'm not a fan of Intel burn test, I find that I can pass it for extended periods of times and still have issues with stability. Though if the Pc is stable for what it's used for then it's stable. :thup:

U said a mouthful there "mandrake". Normally I can pass IBT on 0.02 to 0.04 less Vcore than it takes to actually get P95 Blend mode to run stable. So I test first with IBT to get a 'ball-park' stability and then I know I am getting closer to being able to pass P95 Blend mode for the 2 plus hours I test for stability.
RGone...

Maybe I'm missing something but why is you Bios reporting an FX-8350 but CPU-Z shows an FX-6300?

P.S. That board is not intended for an 8 core FX. I can here your VRM's screaming mercy from here LOL
Lol nice catch Blaylock, I wonder why it's doing that.

Maybe I'm missing something but why is you Bios reporting an FX-8350 but CPU-Z shows an FX-6300?

After reading all the hype for how much more powerful X motherboard is...I think that is a new MSI feature. Buy a 6 core and the board turns it into an 8 core. Neat feature for sure. Hehehe.
RGone...

I juat grabbed some bios pics from online to see if anuone knew how to work that madhouse. but its a FX 6300 not 8350.

so other the. I
IBT what else should I run to varify my 4ghz is solid?

Stability, can be a touchy topic sometimes. There are members of this forum that feel you need to run Prime 95 Blend for 24 hours to confirm stability. I feel that is unneeded stress on the Cpu. There are others that feel that AIDA 64 is a better test, though AIDA 64 you have to pay for. Furthermore, what is stable for me may not be stable for you. Now that I'm done babbling, I find running 2 hours Prime 95 Blend is plenty. If my rig can pass that it will take anything I throw at it. Take into account, I utilize my computer at least 8 hours a day for work and it never crashes. I also game on it, as well as have run Folding at home on it 24/7 for 2 weeks straight without a hitch. If you're unfamiliar with F@H it is very Cpu intensive program, that can cause computers to crash if they aren't stable.

Pass 2 hours Prime Blend you're stable!

I'm not familar with F@H but I joined the seti team and do that om my intel rig. (Why havent I got my cool little badge under my name for it?) but like I said I figured that because its for my wife who has online homework, facebook updates and playes world of warcraft and other minimal games that 2h of IBT om the Max stress it can provide for over 2 hours seems stable for what ever my wife will throw at it. I know how demanding candy crush saga is and farmville but I hope the computer can keep up. Ive also used prime before and why the heck not. I'll load it and let it run for 24h. only reason for the 24h test is because the mobo is actually really crappy. 970A-G43 which also has no VRM heat sinks but thats no issue cuz I'm not going for 4.5+ ghz. the mobo just needs to last for 1 year so I can save for something better. maybe the gigabyte 990fx or 990fx extereme 9. but when that happens u better believe I'm running with water over air and that puppy WILL hit 5.5ghz standard.

overall fir my first AMD build and comming from Intel. AMD has some things going for it, price is very affordabl, overclocking was a hell of alot more fun, price per performance its super awesome. the fx 6300 is just so fricken impressive I love it. But my i5-2500k still whoops on it.

Oh and when it gives me a headache I can just take it to work and have my I.T. techs help me out and teach me from there expierences. Gotta love the Army!

Last edited:
I'm running with water over air and that puppy WILL hit 5.5ghz standard.
LOL Imagine that! Even in the winter with my room at 40 f I couldn't run 5.4ish for anything more then benching. You may get 5.1-5.2 but you're going to need some serious cooling for that if you want it 24/7 stable!

overall fir my first AMD build and comming from Intel. AMD has some things going for it, price is very affordabl, overclocking was a hell of alot more fun, price per performance its super awesome. the fx 6300 is just so fricken impressive I love it. But my i5-2500k still whoops on it.
Agreed, My 2500k is a pretty good chip, it will run 4.7 24/7 on Air and has been as high as 5.3 on Air. In single threaded applications it still kicks my 8350 in the rear, heck so does my 955be in some cases. Though, in multi threaded applications the 8350 will beat it. I also find the AMD Cpu's to be much more fun to tweak.

yes I had a good 2 hour conversation with a computer programmer all about the hyper threading and how amd has 2 hyper threads per core vs 1 that intel has per core.but we understood that AMD is far superior in multi thread application over intel. but most applicatiins run in a silgle thread basis. so in another world AMD would be top dog. same applys to my fx6300 vs 2500k. Amd wins on multy threading even though its truly a 3 core and not a 6 core and intel is a true 4 core.

But AMD has something inten can't even touch. APU chips for AMD out preform anything intel "currently" has for now. but while they have the edge I'm waiting for intel to drop there decreate graphics line to the world so there will be more options rather then hot or cold. we will have a choice. And then amd will kick them in then face with there AMD HD series of graphic with processor cores on the same die as the gpu chip.

As stated before AMD pioneers and Intel perfects.

Last edited:
If you will go to the amd site and search scorpious platform overclocking guide,
it has good little tid bits and info.

Back