• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mobo compatibility with ddram

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DSpawn

Hello all,

I am building a new pc, I've purchased so far these components:
cpu: FX 8350
ddr: corsair 2x8GB 1866 vengeance
power: seasonic 850 W
ssd: ocz vector 128
video: gti 550 ti
cooling:corsair h80i

The problem I have is this one... I also purchased a motherboard from MSI (MSI 990FXA-GD80) that I had to send back because (I think) it wasn't compatible with the memories Corsair. It was freezing even in bios (something I never seen again). I want to buy something else instead... can someone recommend another motherboard that is compatible with those memories and with everything else I have ?

I have been planing to do also some overclocking that's why I purchased that water cooler.

Thanks in advance for you help.

Here is a list of motherboards the are recommended for the Fx 8xxx series Cpu's. The Corsair sticks shouldn't and probably weren't the issue with your Msi board. In most cases, as long as the timings are set correctly they should be able to run on any board.

Well by default the bios was setting the speed for the ddram to 1333, but on this speed the bios froze after a few minutes... I manually set it to 1866... this fixed the bios freeze but the windows only used half of the memory... and the pc was reseting/freezing in windows 7 ultimate 64

Well by default the bios was setting the speed for the ddram to 1333, but on this speed the bios froze after a few minutes... I manually set it to 1866... this fixed the bios freeze but the windows only used half of the memory... and the pc was reseting/freezing in windows 7 ultimate 64

Almost ALL boards default the ram to DDR1333 so that the ram will still be usable in boards that do not support faster ram. Ram can run slower than it is sold for, but on lesser models the ram may not be able to run as fast as the ram is sold for. So defaulting to a lesser speed is by far the normal occurrance.

The only issue 'might' be if the SPD of the sticks were read incorrectly at DDR1333 and set the ram timings too tightly. That might create a problem, but that happens so so infrequently that it seldom comes to mind.

I have not seen many in the AMD cpu forum section or the AMD mobo section using MSI boards. The GD80 is supposed to be a fairly good mobo but other known brands and models have gotten such a better reputation, that I would not spend my own money on an MSI AMD board for FX 8 core that really beat up on the VRMs for most weaker mobos.
RGone...

Thanks a lot for your answers!
I think I will go for Asrock 990FX Ext9... Initially I wanted the Asus Sabertooth R2.0 but I can't find it in Romania.

Did you set the timings and voltage according to timings stamped on the RAM module? Or just change the speed in the bios?

Thanks a lot for your answers!
I think I will go for Asrock 990FX Ext9... Initially I wanted the Asus Sabertooth R2.0 but I can't find it in Romania.

I have the Fatality1 990FX model which was just before the 990FX EXT9 and it was a very stout board for overclocking an 8 core FX.

Of course the bios writers can make a big difference in how the physical board can operate. On the Fatality1, I never ran the latest bios since the earlier one's ran better for me. YMMV as to bios choice. Sometimes the later bios IS not the best for parts and pieces. Testing is the only way to know for sure.

Also the CPU_LLC is backwards in how it controls LLC voltage from the Asus mobos. Most Asus mobos use "naming" that seems to say more powerful LLC to set the LLC where it should be for heavy loads. BUT the Asrock board speaks backwards. 25% LLC on the Asrock means a more powerful LLC for heavy loads than the Asrock 100% LLC. So it is labeled backwards to my thinking. The LLC was very good on my Asrock Fatality1, just the naming seemed reversed as to what the outcome of applied LLC was going to be since I had an Asus 'first'.
RGone...

Hello All again,

I sent away the MSI motherboard and purchased the Asus Crosshair 5 Formula Z... but I have the same problem with the Corsair Kit...

If I leave it on auto the bios freezes after a few minutes... If I set it to the speed of the kit, after restart I receive Overclocking failed ...

Do you have any idea ?

corsair 2x8GB 1866 vengeance = There should be an exact model number or part number on the side of the ram. What is it?

Two really different motherboards and the same bios symptoms? Have you got some other than Corsair ram to test with?

Hmmm Have you tried upping the CPU_NB voltage (1.25) and ram voltage (1.55-1.6) a tad?? That's 16GB of ram and can be a bit tougher for the IMC to handle. If that doesn't work Try a memtest run if the machine will let you.
EDIT: One other thing occurred to me. First were these sticks bought as a matched pair or seperately? Second could you put up a pic of the CPU-z SPD tab and both memory tabs/ If they're not a matched pair the timings may be off.

Last edited:
These TWO images captured using F-12 from bios to capture to a Usb stick, represent
the complete ram "timings" that are set in the bios. Need to see them since it appears that later boards are making a couple of settings that are not working well when left up to the bios to read the SPD from the ram itself.

attachment.php

attachment.php

I want to thank you all for your help and answers! I fixed the problem by sending the kit back to the store. I will purchase another kit that I know it's compatible with this motherboard.

Again thanks for all your answers!

Back