• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SSD decision Sept '13

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ninjacore

Looking to make a decision among a few 120-128GB SSDs.

Sandisk Ultra Plus - $100
840 EVO - $100
840 - $90

The Crucial M4 was the sought after drive the last time I picked one, but it's now $150 ($90 when I bought one a year ago). How do these stack up to it?

Any others I'm missing which are better than these in the <$110 bracket?

As always, thanks!

840 Evo has my vote, the Crucial drives are too iffy on reliability for my personal liking. I cannot comment on the Sandisk.

Did some reading and the EVO does appear to be the best choice of those I listed. Would it be worth it to cough up 30-40 more for a Sandisk Extreme II or something else in that range? Or is it a negligible real-world performance jump which doesn't justify the extra 30-40%?

I can't say much on SanDisk for their SSDs, I don't know a whole lot about them to be honest. What I CAN say though, is looking at the specs,

550 Read, 510 Write for the SD Extreme 2, then we have 540 Read and 520 Write for the Samsung 840 Evo. Knowing Samsung's SSD reputation and history, my vote goes for the Sammy 840 Evo, especially when price comes into play. The SD is $240 whereas the Sammy is $183, seems like a no brainer to me. That's $57 you can put into other parts of your rig or simply pocket ;)

Alrighty, had pretty much decided on the 120GB 840 EVO, then saw I could get the Kingston V300 for $20 less ($80 shipped).

Reviews on it seem...mixed and I can't really find a comparison of the two.

Noticeable difference between the two in peformance? Longevity? I'm still leaning toward the EVO, but $20 is $20.

I'd go with the Evo. It's the most recent and arguably fastest/most reliable. Remember it's not all about straight read/write throughput. IOPs matter too and I believe the Samsung wins out here? (Just going off what I remember vaguely in my head)

Who said M4's were unreliable...? Lol. I realise it's not in English; but we really only need those numbers...

Thanks Mjolnir. I'll likely just go with the EVO unless someone else chimes in. I have had an M4 kicking away for 1-2 years now and haven't had any issues. I, too, thought they were known for their reliability?

I had an M4 before I swapped to my Samsung Pro. (Was running a g Skill falcon 128GB + 128GB M4. Working with the M4 as boot, Falcon as steam/games). No issues. Quick drive. Just not as quick as my 840 Pro lol. It'll be going in my HTPC (if I ever get around to making one...).

I'd also recommend the EVO. The latest issue of Maximum PC magazine does a review on one of them, I'm sure you can find the article online.

OK I'll go with the evo. Should I expect performance somewhere in between my m4 and the 840 pro?

Performance, if I remember correctly is just about the same as the 840 pro in terms of read/write.

Definitely 840 EVO. Best performance/$ out there.

My 500GB is stupidly fast. Just make sure you have an adapter since it doesn't come with one.

That was a good read, ATM. My only remaining question is ... Will my selection of the 120GB capacity over the 250GB significantly (noticeably) affect performance? Is the 120GB still the best bang for my buck when compared to other drives of that same capacity?

That was a good read, ATM. My only remaining question is ... Will my selection of the 120GB capacity over the 250GB significantly (noticeably) affect performance? Is the 120GB still the best bang for my buck when compared to other drives of that same capacity?

I don't believe it'll affect your performance noticeably. The biggest advantage of the SSD is the seek time and 4k performance, especially over a HDD.

If you can go for the 250, definitely do it, you'll thank yourself for the extra space later!

I'm gonna go with the 120. I've been using that capacity M4 for about a year now and it hasn't been too big an issue.

Thanks again. EVO ordered.

Back