• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus crosshair iv formula

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Johannpotgieter

Registered
Hello guys

So I am pretty sure i got the right spot here... I have been having a lot of problems with my last build from blowing ssd like charlie sheens blows through blow...to disintegrating thermal paste and just heaps of other little quircks.

So last week it stopped booting, two days alter it booted up again amazingly. Yesterday while i was online looking what i wanted for my new build, bam restart and the failed to boot. Now it wont do nothing. Psu fans go on, motherboard fans go on and it sounds like my hhd are going...no beeps no nothing.

I have had a look at my ram but thats not it, i checked my psu but it falls into manufacturers specs and with the amd overdrive i have been monitoring it and it is very stable(it has been on the low end the last two days if that helps). I have also reset the cmos and disconnected the front switch to make sure it was not that(apparently that could also cause something to go wrong)

Bit any way i saw today that on the mother board there is a red led light over the cpu sign on the motherboard, the manual saying its a diagnostic light not sure what to do with that...

I have in my computer
Corsair hx-1000watt
Republic of gamers crosshair formula iv
Amd phenom x6 1100t
Hd6970 2gb
Samsung 840 ssd
2 wd caviare hdd
Antech khuler 920 watercooler

Any help will beappreciated
Thanks

something is really wrong here,
1, how long have you been running this setup?
2' have you gone back and checked the build, are the connectors in ALL THE RIGHT PLACES? be real anal about this, get the motherboard and psu manuals out.

Hi

Yes well i have gone through it all several times myself, even had a mate look around to see if i missed something. I have had this for almost 2.5 years now and its always worked fine, been a bit sluggish the last couple of months tho.

I have run through it all using the motherboard manual and then checked all the cables again.i am at a complete loss. I have checked the psu for voltage and its all with in specs.

Is there any thing more i need to test check or should i say my farewell to it?

Hi

Yes well i have gone through it all several times myself, even had a mate look around to see if i missed something. I have had this for almost 2.5 years now and its always worked fine, been a bit sluggish the last couple of months tho.

I have run through it all using the motherboard manual and then checked all the cables again.i am at a complete loss. I have checked the psu for voltage and its all with in specs.

Is there any thing more i can check test to know where the fault lies?

By barebone you mean just a gpu psu one ram and the boot ssd? I have removed the hhd the first time it failed to post which did nothing, but it started posting agin on its own about two days later...

yes. bare minimum connections. disconnect everything...reseat gpu/ram and processor...could even remove ram to get the error from post that there is no ram. Is the diag lamp always on? has anything made that go out? check MB for overheated areas dark spots etc....intermittent issues...yuk btw. (a poor connection, wiring wise, will cause current draw issues. wiggle it....the wires I mean.

Ok i will try that again in the morning. Thanks for all the help so far.

The light over the cpu q-led is always on from boot up...i tested the system using one ram stick at a time and got a flashing light on one stick but not on the other sticks...not quit sure what that means...the manual is very vague on the diagnostic lights...there are 4 of them in the order
Cpu. Dram. Gpu. Boot device(assuming this will be hdd error)

This is apparently there to quickly help you find where the error is...if only they told you what the light patterns and stuff mean too haha

Ok so i unplugged all the drives except my boot ssd, fired her up and still nothing. I then removed all my ram sticks every single one of the, booted up and no beeps only the cpu led on the motherboard. In fact i removed everything and all that happens is the led on the motherboard lights up. I have to turn the psu off to turn the computer off holding down the power button either on the case or the motherboard does not turn it of

Do you happen to have a spare Cpu you could throw in it, to rule out the 1100T being dead?

Unfortunately not. All my mates around here have intel chips. I do have a suspicious feeling it is the cpu that has gone but i just want to make sure. I have even taken it to a local pc shop to have a gander and they turned up nothing. Charged me 140 bucks to have a look at it and then tell ma nah mate nothing wrong here...

So i don't know.

Unfortunately not. All my mates around here have intel chips. I do have a suspicious feeling it is the cpu that has gone but i just want to make sure. I have even taken it to a local pc shop to have a gander and they turned up nothing. Charged me 140 bucks to have a look at it and then tell ma nah mate nothing wrong here...

So i don't know.
They looked at the Cpu or the whole setup? I had similar issues recently with a Crosshair V Formula and it turned out the board was dead, no post no beeps. My Cpu Q Led was staying red and I tried 3 different Cpu's 3 different Ram sets 2 power supplies and 2 Gpu's.

After using up all my limited knowledge and all my mates knowledge i took it in explaining what is going on, because it failed to boot about two weeks ago and then miraculously started posting again on its own...and they said the tested everything...so i dont really strust them.

How will i go abut to test the mobo to see if it is that?

Thanks heaps on all the help so far

The only way to really test it that I know of is ruling out non functioning parts and removing as many as possible. You have done the removing parts bit, from what you have posted. It seems as if the only 2 remaining issues could be the Cpu or the board. If you could somehow come across another known working Cpu It would eliminate that as an issue. Otherwise I'm not really sure how you can test the motherboard.

If you remove everything from the board and try to start it and get no beep codes at all, the board is shot, period.

Ah well that clears it all up thanks.

I am in the process of building a new one just wish this one could have lasted another month or two...

Going to give intell a go for a change

Thanks for all the info and help

If you remove everything from the board and try to start it and get no beep codes at all, the board is shot, period.
If a board has nothing other then the power supply hooked to it will it post or just give beep codes? I'm curious.

I don't have onboard gpu...so i took out everything except the gpu...still only the q-led over the cpu comes on. So i took out the gpu and still nothing only the q-led over the cpu comes on...no beep meeps or anything. Took the cpu out...mind you i am a bit dodgy on this side of things, but still only the q-led loght over the cpu comes on.

Back