• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

asus Crosshair v Formula-z qcode 64

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RyanCouch

i have a gruelingly long boot time now. i get stuck on q code 64 40 at least 30 sec. before i boot. the code is listed as cpu dxe initialization. idk what that means but maybe one of you guys can help me. I have built a lot of computers and know a fair amount but this has me stumped.

is this a new build?
check the motherboard switchs, slow mode should be off.
ln2 mode should be off.
make sure that the sata cable is plugged in to the highest sata ports.

is it just slow in the windows screen?

after some reading around, you might check to make sure that sata pots 1-6 have sata esp disabled in the bios.
from what I can find in a quick search is that enableing sata esp sets the port up for external use.

ok so just some info. the build is 3 months old. it slows on the bios splash screen. im using the 2 highest sata ports and im gonna check all my switches and esp now. ill let you know

there are two switches on the motherboard, drag out the manual and it will give you the locations and how to set them.

ok so esp disabled on all sata ports fast boot off slow mode off and ln2 jumper set to disabled. still posting for about 30 sec. on 64

Drop back to stock already while we troubleshoot? We can increase clocks again later once we've chased the ghosts off.

You have had it for 3 months - has it done this for 3 months or just start? If it started more recently, any new hardware additions lately? Fans, anything?

If you disconnect all SATA devices does the q-code 64 go away? You obviously can't boot like this, but you should get past the slow post issue quickly and onto the error screen about no boot device found.

If you reset bios using F5 to load optimal defaults, then F10 to save, is the next boot slow as well?

Have you tried different sata cables? The board comes with a few if memory serves me right.

If you aren't using the secondary sata controllers, try disabling what you aren't using in BIOS.

If the answer to the last question is yes, I would like to see you download the latest bios from the ASUS site and flash using EZ flash from BIOS, then see what happens on the next boot.

Before you flash, you may want to start cutting out variables. Unplug anything that isn't needed like DVDRW, extra fans, extra hard drives, drop to one stick of ram, try both sticks one at a time in different slots, change PCIe slots for the GPU, try a spare GPU if you have one. If you have spare ram, try booting with a different stick of ram. Any of these things that you can try, do it and let us know what you did, and if it made no difference - this information will help us eliminate possibilities and think of other possibilities.

Check temps and voltages in BIOS. Let us know if anything there looks like something may not be right.

Last edited:
ok i switched sata. i have just added a ssd. but ill disconnect all and try to reboot

dissconnected sata cables still got the error all clocks are default with all setting the same as when i first got it

dissconnected sata cables still got the error all clocks are default with all setting the same as when i first got it

Ok, thank you.

I think this is very telling - most information points to code 64 being related to problems with sata communication. Bad port, bad cable, bad drive - something along those lines. If you still get 64 with no cables connected to the mobo, that tells me one of a few things:

-wonky sata controller on the board having a hard time initializing (possible, would mean the board needs RMA'd)
-some other component failing - bad ram stick, CPU unstable, I've seen boards throw all sorts of weird codes when some component isn't working right. (possible, would mean disconnecting everything but whats absolutely needed, trying different ram one at a time in each slot, swapping out GPU or PSU for spares is possible - doing that ensures you don't RMA the board then have the same problem after waiting for the replacement... If doing this testing makes no difference, would mean it very likely is indeed the sata controller wigging out and the board needs RMA'd)
-BIOS gone bonkers. I've reflashed the same bios in a rare circumstance where settings weren't taking correctly and things generally just werent working right. Reflashing the same BIOS, or flashing to the latest BIOS would clear this up if its the culprit (unlikely, but quick and easy to try)

You could take the express route and just RMA the board. Personally I would try to avoid RMA at all costs, because it means downtime, and dealing with frustrating support... and my warranties are never still valid basically. :D

I am just going off my experience and it could be something I haven't thought of too. I always like tearing down and putting everything back together outside the case - I've seen shorts on the case or from lost screws behind the mobo cause weird problems before.

I would like you to try what I.M.O.G. says with another thing or two as asus rma can make you pull your hair out.
try a full cmos reset.
on my -z board I had to over write the bios with #901 then over write that with a later bios to correct the issue the issue I was having, it acted like it kept the installed bios.

I have been playing with my -z bios to try to make this happen, it does not matter what i reconfigure all i can get is the 3 second boot logo i have selected in the bios.
the bios I am playing with is #1302.

later tonight ill be swapping gfx cards cpu's i dont have a psu spare and ill see if i can get anything better 1 by 1 swaps

This problem also happened to me, I found that the q code was "b4" and not "64".
I looked in the manual and found the solution, I disconnected the USB devices. All connected devices in USB 2.0.

Last edited:
I'm sure mines 64, cause the post codes run in this order 99-62-99-64-99-66. it hangs on 64 or 66.

mine was too ... so turn on your pc without connected devices, only the monitor.

sorry for my english, I'm using google translator...

Back