• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Display driver amdkmdap stopped responding and has successfully recovered.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wade88

Registered
Hello everyone, im looking for some help with my AMD Radeon 7700 Series graphics card. I have been having problems with it for a while now. The problem seems too happen randomly, even when left idle. My Pc Freeze's, goes black, and then 'recovers'. I have tried everything i can think of, i bought a 500W power supply thinking that it will sort it. I have taken what i thought was dodgey ram out, done virus scans (thinking that im being farmed for bitcoins), and finally formatted and im still getting the same problem!

Any help is much appreciated, Thanks! :)

I assume you have put it back to stock if there was an OC on it right/ How many drivers have you tried?

Hey thanks for replying, not sure what you mean by putting it back too stock, i was using the latest version, but after formatting i am now using Catalyst 12.10 10/22/2012 .

If you have an Overclock on the GPU. That's what I was talking about putting back to factory settings. Which GFX card do you have and also the model of the PSU. If the PSU is modular check the connections at both ends and even try different cables if you have extras.

AMD Radeon 7700, and my PSU is a Corsair GS 500, i think it only has one connection.

The PSU looks good but what Brand of card is it?

AMD XFX R7700 Series Ghost Thermal Technology Graphics Card

What Antivirus do you use ? I've read that can cause problems like that.

at the moment, i dont even have one, as i was thinking the same, and i have just formatted but i generally use AVG

K just got home again but don't have a lot of time ATM this is a very generic error and can have a lot of different causes so you have to narrow it down one by one. If you have AMD OD installed my first suggestion would be to turn it on and raise your idle clocks and voltage a bit for the card and see if that solves it.

Thanks for sticking with me, i have raised the idle clock and voltage, this seems to make it less stable.

I had the same error with crossfire rig and in the end (after months of frustrated troubleshooting) the only thing that fixed it was a reinstall of windows. There's a chance it could be a hardware issue, but in my case it was software and no amount of driver reinstalls helped it.

If you are willing, I would reinstall windows just so you don't need to waste months wondering if it was some crazy software issue... If the issue is still there, then there's a much better chance it is hardware.

Edit: Just saw you said you have already tried formatting. It is odd you had same symptoms of it even happening at idle like mine. It's a shame that it honestly could be anything...

Last edited:
by less stable i mean, i loaded up a demanding game after i messed around with the settings and it crashed straight away, i'll keep messing :p

Do you have windows set in performance mode vs power saving or balanced. It also wouldn't hurt to have some more detail on the rest of your system CPU/MOBO and so on. If you go to the quick links at the top of the page in the drop down you'll see edit signayure. Put in as much info as you can like the specs at the bottom of my posts.

How about we get some full system specs. Like in my and Johan's signature.

It'll help move this process along.

I've got my money on this being a power/heat issue.

About the only thing I notice here is the use of some pretty old drivers... 12.10. Those are from October of 2012 I believe. Have you tried the latest drivers? Try uninstalling the drivers in safe mode using Driver Cleaner to make sure all remnenants of the older driver are gone. Basically, install DC Pro (its free). Reboot to safe mode. Use DC to uninstall all ATI drivers. Reboot. Install the latest drivers from the AMD website.

If that doesnt work: Add voltage, say .05, and leave the clocks alone. Raising the clocks and the voltage essentially wipe each other out in a quest for stability.

Here is a link I found from this site in 2010..: http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=642390

Follow those intructions (which is basically like what I am saying in the first paragraph really), but use the latest drivers instead of the 10.3 or whatever they suggest.

Last edited:
Thanks for jumping in guys. The OP did say he had tried the newer drivers but I don't think he has since he formatted the drive at least that's what I get from post 3

Thanks for jumping in guys. The OP did say he had tried the newer drivers but I don't think he has since he formatted the drive at least that's what I get from post 3
Good catch... agreed. Since the new OS, he should put on the newest drivers and see if that works.

Since it happens at idle too, I can't imagine it to be a temperature or power issue unless the PSU is going bad. But raising the voltage a bit (while leaving the clockspeeds alone) may help that issue out. That said, if raising the voltage stops the issues under load, but not idle (as the firmware/bios handles the 2d clocks and voltage unless you can force it constant), then I would RMA the card as it is not stable when it clocks down. Or, you can get saucy and edit the bios to add a bit more voltage in the 2d/idle clocks and voltage. However that move doesnt seem like a good idea with the OP.

What is the actual voltage at load and idle? GPUz, the sensor tab, should show you its range...

I agree if it's an issue like that he'd be further ahead RMA'ing it. Fiddling with the inner workings is not for everyone.

Back