• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PSU Requirements

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kemosabe89

So I've been looking around to see where I could find a decent power calculator online. I have searched around and around so I could help my self with my build and help others when they ask what is the minimum they will need. SO far this is what I found. If anyone thinks its wrong or wants to post another that's better or more accurate or would like to do some math for others then please post and help. If you don't know what size power supply you need post it as well because someone will be around to help.

http://images10.newegg.com/BizIntell/tool/psucalc/

So far I found this and want to know if its anywhere close to accurate.

CPU: i5-2500k
Mobo: v8z77-v lx
GPU: AMD HD 7970
Memory: DDR3 8gb 1600
Optical: CD RW
HHD/SSD: 2xhhd 1xssd

Total: 447w power supply minimum

Seem right? or is it not considering OC as part, and will a 750w power all of that?

Lol...

That system should run about 400W fully loaded (CPU and GPU) with an OC of about 4.5GHz and lots of fans and stuff... A 500W PSU is enough considering you don't plan to add a second GPU.

PSU calculators are also offered by PSU manufacturers, and usually a way to make you believe you need a 750W PSU when half that power could be enough to keep the system functional without extras.

I'm sure that one will work, but this one is much more extensive.

And yes, 750W will power that setup just fine.

So I gave this one a whirl and found Only a 22w difference between the 2. Not bad considering that the easy one from newegg.com is a ton easier and if you want to get down to the nitty-gritty if your running a ton of fans and SSD/HDD then just run 100-150w above the minimum. Sound about right? and about 300w for a 2nd GPU?

A corsair CX430 could do it, but a 500w would be a better plan, especially if you plan on OCing.
a 750w is enough for that setup with 2x7970.

A corsair CX430 could do it, but a 500w would be a better plan, especially if you plan on OCing.
a 750w is enough for that setup with 2x7970.
Exactly. As an example. I ran two 7970's at stock with a 4Ghz 3770K and hit 535W AT THE WALL (Unigine Heaven and 3d11). So less than 400W actual use. ;)

Back